On Line Tithing payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

lajackson wrote:In any event, the Church is working behind the scenes to update the way they do some things, but they are still restrained by the restrictions of the banking system over which they have no control.
Obviously my remarks are for bank system not Church choices.
So I still don't understand why (for the American bank, or laws) this is so difficult.
Sorry. Here in Italy we look at the USA for progress. Maybe, once in while and in some field, is the opposite?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

marianomarini wrote:Obviously my remarks are for bank system not Church choices.
So I still don't understand why (for the American bank, or laws) this is so difficult.
Sorry. Here in Italy we look at the USA for progress. Maybe, once in while and in some field, is the opposite?
Look at MLS itself. It was used in Europe and other international areas for several years before it was brought into the US.

As for the banking system in the US, yes, some laws have been changed in the last few years and others are still being changed. Hopefully this will lead to an electronic banking and accounting system as effective as the one already in use in many other countries around the world.

In this particular field, I think you are ahead of us in many ways. Oddly, when I pay most of my bills electronically through the bank, they electronically transfer funds to most of them directly to business bank accounts. But there are several businesses I pay where the bank still prints out a paper check and mails it to the business!
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Understand. Tank you.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Now we can also have remboursements through internet bank access.
The leaders access the internet bank account and made rembourse that will be effective after 2 confermations!
Great!
Thanks to italian FM officers for this!
kimberlyfarnsworth

Any progress with electronic tithing payments?

Post by kimberlyfarnsworth »

It looks like it's almost been a year (April 2011) since the last post on this thread. Has any progress been made in making electronic tithing payments a reality? Paying tithing is the only regular payment I make using checks. I would LOVE to be able to login to my ward website, click on a "Pay Tithing" link and make the payment. It seems like that should be possible especially when it's so easy to make online payments to the Church's humanitarian efforts.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kimberlyfarnsworth wrote:It looks like it's almost been a year (April 2011) since the last post on this thread. Has any progress been made in making electronic tithing payments a reality?
We have not heard anything further on this yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

marianomarini wrote:When clerk deposit weekly money, where they go? Local account I suppose.
Local bank deposit box yes, local account no. As far as I understand it, the church has agreements with local banks to accept deposits but when they recieve them, the funds are electronically transfered to Zions. From my perspective being in the US, it appears that all unit accounts are at Zions in SL. But there are no local accounts as they are against policy.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

wrigjef wrote:Local bank deposit box yes, local account no. As far as I understand it, the church has agreements with local banks to accept deposits but when they recieve them, the funds are electronically transfered to Zions. From my perspective being in the US, it appears that all unit accounts are at Zions in SL. But there are no local accounts as they are against policy.
I wonder how can Unities manage their own budget without a bank account.
Are they using global account for local rembursement?
More clearly, is the bank account number unique for all US unities?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini wrote:I wonder how can Unities manage their own budget without a bank account.
Are they using global account for local rembursement?
More clearly, is the bank account number unique for all US unities?
Church units in the US handle finances quite differently from the way it is done in Italy.

Each unit has its own unique account number, and its own budget, and uses its own account for local reimbursement. All these accounts are managed through Zions Bank. Because Zions Bank does not have branches throughout the US, arrangements have been made with most local banks (perhaps it is all at this point -- I'm not sure) to handle deposits via deposit concentration where the funds are swept to Zions Bank with no need for an actual account at the local bank.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Church units in the US handle finances quite differently from the way it is done in Italy.
It seem not too different.
Instead of Zions Bank we use an Italian Bank but there's only one account (global account managed by central office in Italy) with many sub-accounts.
This way each unit has his own sub-account number and we can make Internet money tranfert from our bank into Unity account.
So I wonder. Is Zions Bank that doesn't accept electronic deposit into unit's account?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”