Other (Authorized Member Financed Activities) balances don't match CUFS for audit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm glad they told you to print an Income/Expense, when I went about fixing this in our stake, I wasn't aware that what you referenced above would happen (AGAIN) to all our unit accounts. I instructed all clerks (based on instructions from LUS) to send a message to Finance, giving them the balance differences. Finance promptly fixed them, but once again, I had Totally whacked balances everywhere. My clerks are so gun shy at this point, and I don't blame them. One very nice thing was when 3.3.1 came out, it at least automatically took care of the Budget issues. It's only left to us now to restore backups, run the reports, and fix the Other Accounts.

We need to fix the balance issues, but be cautious in your approach, the result is exactly what happened post-CUBS transitions, and it should be prepared for in the same way.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Is this ad hoc correction process designed just to make MLS match the monthly finance statement, or to fix all the errors in the CUBS conversion last October? Those are not the same thing. Our post-CUBS balances did not match the pre-CUBS balances, and today MLS and the finance statements are both still wrong. (I declined to sign the monthly statements for that reason.)

In October, we were told that there would be a remedial conversion done to fix the underlying problem, but that I think that never happened. I am trying to figure out if the process described in this thread is designed to fix our problem or some other problem. (Actually, I realize that I am going to have to schedule the time to spend with Local Unit Support during business hours and ask that question, but I would like to be informed by the experience of others here.)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

When the cubs transition happened it introduced issues in MLS. As long as your bank statements cufs ending and cubs beginning were ok. The fix only affects MLS. And yes. The fix is to make MLS look like the bank statement.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

JohnShaw wrote:When the cubs transition happened it introduced issues in MLS. As long as your bank statements cufs ending and cubs beginning were ok. The fix only affects MLS. And yes. The fix is to make MLS look like the bank statement.
Thanks. It seems this fix does not fix our case, because our CUBS beginning was fouled up. I will try Salt Lake again for a different fix.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:When the cubs transition happened it introduced issues in MLS. As long as your bank statements cufs ending and cubs beginning were ok.

The ending and beginning CUBS balances were not the same, and that is the issue we are still waiting to get fixed. CUBS also introduced issues in MLS, but we have not even begun to work with those, because the underlying transition failed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The ending and beginning CUBS balances were not the same, and that is the issue we are still waiting to get fixed. CUBS also introduced issues in MLS, but we have not even begun to work with those, because the underlying transition failed.

Unless one is correct and the other is not, I'd think the first task would be to get MLS and CHQ in sync then then correct the balances.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Unless one is correct and the other is not, I'd think the first task would be to get MLS and CHQ in sync then then correct the balances.
MLS has generally followed along with whatever the Church thinks we have this week in the form of money, at least in the main categories. What we have not yet determined is the cause of the money coming and going. It is really hard to budget when stuff just disappears. But the auditors have flagged it, so they will get another reminder that the problem is not going away unless they do something about it.
sjstringham

Post by sjstringham »

I ran into similar issues with the Cubs conversion. I was off by a small amount in the other category after the Oct 17/24th changeover. The auditor hit me with it and so I called SLC. We went through the backup send and receive process. They sent me the new file (after about a week). My other categories were then scrambled, and off again, but this time with more money than I started. I called again, and they fixed it that morning. Now, I was in balance. But, with my other account, the expenses and donations were correct. But, the transfers were completely scrambled. This made my various categories completely wrong. My only hope at that point was to just create transfers to balance them to where they should be. This is what the techs in SLC confirmed was the route to take.

I also had to look at my budget categories as I had created additional ones with no expenses but funds allocated. These categories were removed and so my budget was off. So, I fixed that as well.

I am now in balance. But it was a major pain. Run reports (lots of them) first before calling SLC and letting them scramble your accounts. But, get it done and balanced out.
shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

I called LUS a couple of weeks ago to get them to bring our MLS Other category balance in line with the UFS. I was surprised that they didn't ask for any of the numbers I had figured out. We had two transactions clear between October 17th and 19th, and I won't be surprised if they haven't taken those two transactions int account, but I will have to wait for the next UFS to see if the changes LUS sent down have fixed the issue completely.

Interestingly, the analyst on the phone did NOT instruct me to print any reports, but I knew better from reading here. I'm glad I did, because I had to re-transfer most of my Other sub-categories to put the funds back where they belong.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”