MLS with two currencies ?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thadzik

MLS with two currencies ?

Post by thadzik »

Hello,

Can you tell me, whether MLS is able to handle more than one currency in one unit?

Is MLS able also to handle two currencies on two different bank accounts?

Background of the question is the following:

We have in Europe a problem, when a unit is covering two different countries with two different currencies. Currently the second currency is only handled by the administration office, but the ward has almost no clarity about what is going on.

Those affected units wished to be able to handle both currencies in MLS, but for this, we need to have also two or three different bank accounts (e.g. one bank account in Germany in EUR currency and two bank accounts in switzerland (one in CHF and the other one in EUR currency.) The major problem is that members will get only a tax advantage when they pay tithing and fast offering to a local bank and not to a foreign bank.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Thorsten
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

thadzik wrote:Those affected units wished to be able to handle both currencies in MLS, but for this, we need to have also two or three different bank accounts (e.g. one bank account in Germany in EUR currency and two bank accounts in switzerland (one in CHF and the other one in EUR currency.) The major problem is that members will get only a tax advantage when they pay tithing and fast offering to a local bank and not to a foreign bank.

That sounds very complicated; I would really doubt that MLS can handle multiple currencies and bank accounts, but then again, MLS does have many capabilities that are specific to certain areas or banking systems and thus are invisible to most users.

I would advise you to consult with your area administration office; it is unlikely that anyone on this forum will be able to provide specific answers on such an unusual request.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
hooson

Post by hooson »

I know it's possible - on my mission I served in a very small branch in the Caribbean where members paid tithes in Euros and US dollars and MLS definitely handled both - but I know nothing of the details.
Hyde Park Ward
London England Hyde Park Stake
Stake Clerk
thadzik

Post by thadzik »

hooson wrote:I know it's possible - on my mission I served in a very small branch in the Caribbean where members paid tithes in Euros and US dollars and MLS definitely handled both - but I know nothing of the details.
I also found one ward in austria at the border to switzerland, where they manage EUR and CHF currency in MLS. But I am not sure if they have one bank with two accounts (one in EUR and one in CHF currency) or if they have two banks (one located in Austria with a EUR account and one located in Switzerland with a CHF currency account).

Hopefully there are more examples out there, to show if this definetly works.

Thorsten
tdhawryluk

Post by tdhawryluk »

I don't know if it is possible, but I know that donations were made in our Canadian ward from cheques written on U.S. cheques. I was not clerk at the time but when I took over it took forever to sort out. The cheques cleared but not at the face value as an exchange rate was applied and it was a real pain to fix over several months. The amont on the donation slip did not match the true value of the cheque. Our stake has told us not to accept U.S. currency or U.S. cheque donations (we often get members from the U.S. working temporarily in our Canadian city).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”