Donations Not Appearing on Tithing Declaration Report?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
smlarsen

Donations Not Appearing on Tithing Declaration Report?

Post by smlarsen »

First time poster (long time lurker) -- hoping someone can help me out with this. I am finishing up the Tithing Settlement Report for my Bishop. I have two members for whom no donations appear. But I know they donated and their "Tithing and Other Offerings Statement" accurately reflects those payments. So, why don't those donations appear on the Tithing Decl.? How can I reconcile the two? I called SLC and they were not especially helpful. Any advice is appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smlarsen wrote:First time poster (long time lurker) -- hoping someone can help me out with this. I am finishing up the Tithing Settlement Report for my Bishop. I have two members for whom no donations appear. But I know they donated and their "Tithing and Other Offerings Statement" accurately reflects those payments. So, why don't those donations appear on the Tithing Decl.? How can I reconcile the two? I called SLC and they were not especially helpful. Any advice is appreciated.
The first thing I would try is to add the missing members. To do this, go to the Enter Tithing Declarations screen. On the bottom of the screen is a button labeled "Add Members". When you click that (and confirm the action), MLS should add all missing members.

This can happen if the set of members for the tithing declaration entry was generated before donor records were created. Or sometimes it just happens. But the Add Members feature should make sure that all ward members are included.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

smlarsen wrote:First time poster (long time lurker) -- hoping someone can help me out with this. I am finishing up the Tithing Settlement Report for my Bishop. I have two members for whom no donations appear. But I know they donated and their "Tithing and Other Offerings Statement" accurately reflects those payments. So, why don't those donations appear on the Tithing Decl.? How can I reconcile the two? I called SLC and they were not especially helpful. Any advice is appreciated.
Are the members showing up, but not the donation amounts?

I had that happen for one member who donated before we had their membership records. Their donor record never got linked to their membership and they were showing as non-members.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

smlarsen wrote:I have two members for whom no donations appear. But I know they donated and their "Tithing and Other Offerings Statement" accurately reflects those payments. So, why don't those donations appear on the Tithing Decl.? How can I reconcile the two? I called SLC and they were not especially helpful. Any advice is appreciated.
If I understand the process correctly, only members show on the Declaration Report. However, donor records are not necessarily linked to membership records, especially if the donor record was created before the membership record arrived in the ward. Have you been able to verify that the donations show up in a donation batch? If so, this is your error. In these situations, you must go to view/update donors, find the donor name and link it with the correct member.

Click on the hyperlinked donor name and a popup will open. Click the radio button that says "member of unit". The "select" button will then become active. Click on it and select the correct member from your membership list that appears in the drop-down menu.

This may also be an urgent task you have not yet completed. If you check there first, it might be easier for you.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”