Unused Fast Offering Check From 2010

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jmiller7

Unused Fast Offering Check From 2010

Post by jmiller7 »

A few weeks after cutting a fast offering check for a member, the member returned the check because the need was handled without it. The fast offering check was cut in 2010. Given the changes in MLS and the 2011 budget dispersement, how do I deal with the fast offering check? Do I redeposit it somehow, resulting in carrying funds from 2010 into 2011? Do I go back into 2010 and cancel it? I'm not sure the latter is an option since the 2010 finances were closed out. Or do I allow the check to lapse and escheat?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jmiller7 wrote:A few weeks after cutting a fast offering check for a member, the member returned the check because the need was handled without it. The fast offering check was cut in 2010. Given the changes in MLS and the 2011 budget dispersement, how do I deal with the fast offering check? Do I redeposit it somehow, resulting in carrying funds from 2010 into 2011? Do I go back into 2010 and cancel it? I'm not sure the latter is an option since the 2010 finances were closed out. Or do I allow the check to lapse and escheat?
Handling a returned check is the same now as it was before the transition to CUBS. The check is outstanding and now in your possession so you just have to void the check. Follow the procedures in the wiki article Outstanding checks under the Voiding a check section.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”