Can I print the tax statements before I do the Declaration report?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Simple question, I hope:

According to the instructions:
AFTER Tithing Settlement
Print and transmit the Tithing Declaration Report
Print and distribute tax-valid statements
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ralitaco wrote:[Can I print the tax statements before I do the Declaration report?
There is no software limitation that would prevent this. The instructions provide the logical steps to ensure all tasks are complete. Since the steps of printing and transmitting are after tithing settlement, it is most likely that there will be no further changes to affect either the report or the statements.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Tithing declaration report is normally submitted first, that's all.
The main point is you cannot print tax statements until the year ends (so it includes all of the donations for the indicated year) while you CAN complete the declaration report once tithing settlement is completed, which can be before the year ends.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ralitaco wrote:Can I print the tax statements before I do the Declaration report?

As has been mentioned, there is no technical or policy limitation. But I would recommend that you do the declaration report first. As both you and the bishop are reviewing the declaration report for accuracy, it is possible that you will find an error. For example, you are reviewing the declaration for Bob Smith, Jr., and you see a number that seems too high; upon further inspection, you discover that a donation that should have been credited to Bob Smith, Sr. If at that point you have already printed the tax statements, you will have to reprint (and possibly redistribute) one or more tax statements. But if you do the declaration report first, that wouldn't happen.

So it's not an absolute rule to do the declaration report first, but it seems prudent.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to be sure nothing from the declaration was going to be needed on the tax statement. after thinking about it, I realized it wouldn't, but it is great to get your input.

aebrown: I think i have to make a correction exactly like your example. Darn you are good, but anyone with a Klein bottle for their avatar would be.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I always made it a habit of submitting the declaration report first and waiting more towards the end of January before issuing the donor tax statements. The reason being, in the event of a returned check, it's a simple matter of resubmitting an updated declaration report, but a bit more work to reissue an amended tax statement.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”