Allocation of Budget Funds from the stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rick.winterton

Allocation of Budget Funds from the stake

Post by rick.winterton »

I'm pretty sure that I have a problem with my copy of MLS. Our Budget Allocation Form from MLS (see attached) is only populated with percentages. There are no dollar amounts. I was under the impression, though I don't remember from where, that the per capita values were to be shown above each column and totals after calculating, should be shown in the far right column. It appears that something isn't set up properly in our copy of MLS.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to call about this, but that will have to wait until Monday. However, I want to make sure that I'm correct on this.

Thanks,

Rick
Stake Clerk
Attachments
Allocation Form.jpg
(84.97 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Rick.Winterton wrote:I'm pretty sure that I have a problem with my copy of MLS. Our Budget Allocation Form from MLS (see attached) is only populated with percentages. There are no dollar amounts. I was under the impression, though I don't remember from where, that the per capita values were to be shown above each column and totals after calculating, should be shown in the far right column. It appears that something isn't set up properly in our copy of MLS.

There's nothing wrong with your MLS. The screen you are talking about is where the stake sets up the percentages to be allocated to the wards. For many stakes, these percentages will be set up once and then rarely if ever adjusted. The values you showed are the default values set up in MLS if you have never set them; there are some reports that you have to make at least some change and transmit for CHQ to receive your percentages. You need to make sure you set up those percentages before December 31.

You are welcome to change the percentages as often as you'd like, but whatever the percentages are at the beginning of the last month of the quarter will be used for the report of proposed allocations for the next quarter, and whatever the percentages are at the end of the quarter will be used for the actual allocations to the wards and the stake.

The report it sounds like you are thinking about is the one where the stake finds out for the upcoming quarter exactly what the dollar amounts will be for each ward and the stake. That report would have arrived around the first week of December, and was based on the percentages specified above (that report is found in the Financial Statements area of MLS).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rick.winterton

Post by rick.winterton »

I have the report you're talking about. Unfortunately, it shows only zeroes for the units (non-zeroes for the stake).

On the picture I posted, why are there no amounts in the TOTAL column?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Rick.Winterton wrote:I have the report you're talking about. Unfortunately, it shows only zeroes for the units (non-zeroes for the stake).
As I mentioned, you have to make some change to the default percentages and then transmit in order for CHQ to get your desired percentages. Since you have never made any changes, CHQ doesn't think you've submitted your percentages, and so they are just planning to send all the money to the stake. But if you set those percentages before December 31, then the percentages you specify will be used to transfer amounts based on the specified percentages to each unit of the stake, with the stake retaining the remainder.

Using the amounts on the report the Church sent you, you can do some calculations to make sure that the percentages you will be setting will work for your stake. In the future, the Church will use your percentages to send a more helpful report in the last month of each quarter.
Rick.Winterton wrote:On the picture I posted, why are there no amounts in the TOTAL column?
I don't know why the TOTAL column is even there. It really makes no sense. There was never any intention that it would include amounts, since this is a screen used for setting percentages for all future quarters, so indicating any amounts for a particular quarter would be misleading. For amounts, look at the report you mentioned.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rick.winterton

Post by rick.winterton »

Thanks. That makes it clear, then. I guess I don't have to call about this. (Another clerk told me that recently there have been 20+ minute hold times).
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Rick.Winterton wrote:I have the report you're talking about. Unfortunately, it shows only zeroes for the units (non-zeroes for the stake).

On the picture I posted, why are there no amounts in the TOTAL column?
I experienced this with my stake and determined I had not submitted my percentages. The Budget Allocation screen does not show actual dollar amounts. Those appear on the LUBA report distributed at the beginning of the last month of the quarter and likely again after the distribution is made (first month of the quarter).
Rick.Winterton wrote:Thanks. That makes it clear, then. I guess I don't have to call about this. (Another clerk told me that recently there have been 20+ minute hold times).
No, you do not have to call about this. However, you do have to submit your percentages at least by the 31st.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”