Conflicting information regarding outstanding checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
AJT-p40
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: United States

Conflicting information regarding outstanding checks

Postby AJT-p40 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Our ward has two outstandings checks from late 2009, one written to another ward and one written to the stake.

In the financial clerks' wiki, it says to void the checks in MLS --

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Outstanding_checks#You_issued_a_check_to_another_Church_unit


However, in this document at the bottom of the wiki, it says not to void the checks if you are in the United States --

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/images/4/49/Dealing_with_Outstanding_Checks.pdf


Which is correct?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:08 pm

This is a question you will have to address to LUS. The reason is not a conflict of instructions between your two references but because the procedure may have changed with the transition to CUBS. (By the way, your second linked reference was the most complete under CFAR.).

CHQ needs to know that the checks are to be cancelled. But how that notification is to be processed is not certain. They may require the Outstanding Checks—Annual Report form to be processed as in the CFAR system and cited in your second linked reference or they may merely need the checks to be cancelled in MLS.

You will know for sure if you contact LUS. You probably would have a good idea that if you received the form in February or March that you need to process the form. But I would't wait until then because you may be able to take action now if all you have to do is cancel the checks in MLS.

Added Note: You could send an MLS message asking the procedure to follow to void the checks and you may get a response before you could get through to LUS currently. Make sure you include all the details of the situations in the message.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

allenjpl
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA

Postby allenjpl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 pm

jdlessley wrote:This is a question you will have to address to LUS. The reason is not a conflict of instructions between your two references but because the procedure may have changed with the transition to CUBS. (By the way, your second linked reference was the most complete under CFAR.).

CHQ needs to know that the checks are to be cancelled. But how that notification is to be processed is not certain. They may require the Outstanding Checks—Annual Report form to be processed as in the CFAR system and cited in your second linked reference or they may merely need the checks to be cancelled in MLS.

You will know for sure if you contact LUS. You probably would have a good idea that if you received the form in February or March that you need to process the form. But I would't wait until then because you may be able to take action now if all you have to do is cancel the checks in MLS.

Added Note: You could send an MLS message asking the procedure to follow to void the checks and you may get a response before you could get through to LUS currently. Make sure you include all the details of the situations in the message.


IIRC, the Outstanding Checks form specifically tells you to disregard checks made to another church entity.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:12 pm

LVAllen wrote:IIRC, the Outstanding Checks form specifically tells you to disregard checks made to another church entity.


You are definitely not supposed to put checks to another Church unit on the Outstanding Checks form. That could result in checks from the Church to the Church ending up being held by the state, which would be a bit silly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 pm

AJT wrote:Our ward has two outstanding checks from late 2009, one written to another ward and one written to the stake.


You should never get to the point where you deal with the inconsistencies described in that wiki article for Church units. These are Church units, not some payee that you can't get in touch with.

You shouldn't even think about voiding checks written to another unit, unless they are willfully negligent. Instead you should contact the unit, and resolve the situation in a better way:

  • If the check has been lost, follow standard procedures for replacing the check.
  • If the payee unit no longer thinks you owe the money, ask them to return the check to you and then void it.
You don't just void a check to another unit simply because they are slow in cashing it -- talk to them first!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
wrigjef
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Contact:

Postby wrigjef » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 pm

AJT wrote:Our ward has two outstandings checks from late 2009, one written to another ward and one written to the stake.

In the financial clerks' wiki, it says to void the checks in MLS --

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Outstanding_checks#You_issued_a_check_to_another_Church_unit


However, in this document at the bottom of the wiki, it says not to void the checks if you are in the United States --

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/images/4/49/Dealing_with_Outstanding_Checks.pdf


Which is correct?


What is being overlooked is the fact that this is said to be from late 2009. Is this normal? I know for me I try to jump on any outstanding check that goes over 60 days. A full year just does not seem right at all. Based on my stakes consolidated statement, I sent out messages through MLS to each of the wards in the stake that have unresolved finalancil actions (including outstanding checks). I have encouraged them to contact the members and do what is necessary to get them resolved. Am I being too picky?

ggllbb
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Ranchita, CA USA

Postby ggllbb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 pm

wrigjef wrote:What is being overlooked is the fact that this is said to be from late 2009. Is this normal?


I was surprised also at uncleard checks more than a year old.

I don't know about any place else, but here in California, if you leave a check uncleared, the state considers it escheated [Escheat is a common law doctrine that operates to ensure that property is not left in limbo and ownerless.] and claims the funds. That's right, the state takes the money. Our auditor gets a bit upset if that happens, especially if it is fast offering funds.

That makes me want to ensure that outstanding checks get resolved quickly to prevent the state from getting members hard earned donations.


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest