Will Hand Written Checks Clear?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Will Hand Written Checks Clear?

Post by ckmcdonald »

When MLS uploads the info for a newly written check, does this somehow activate (correct term?) the check. Seems like I read that long ago.

Or in other words, if a check is written, distributed to the recipient and cashed before it is uploaded from MLS, is the check still valid and will it clear?

I ask because MLS in a unit I'm aware of is completely inoperable due to issues with the CUBS update and the clerk is considering writing checks by hand to get the bills paid (while headquarters works on getting MLS back up).

Is this an acceptable and workable approach?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:When MLS uploads the info for a newly written check, does this somehow activate (correct term?) the check. Seems like I read that long ago.

Or in other words, if a check is written, distributed to the recipient and cashed before it is uploaded from MLS, is the check still valid and will it clear?

I ask because MLS in a unit I'm aware of is completely inoperable due to issues with the CUBS update and the clerk is considering writing checks by hand to get the bills paid (while headquarters works on getting MLS back up).

Is this an acceptable and workable approach?
The check needs to be transmitted via MLS or called in. See the Emergency check writing procedures for details.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”