CUBS and Tithing Settlement CY 2010

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dlcampnell

CUBS and Tithing Settlement CY 2010

Post by dlcampnell »

I printed the Annual Bishop's tithing settlement report and noticed that everyone who donated during the year was listed on the report, including people who have moved out of the ward.

I was under the impression that this report should only list CURRENT ward members.

Can anyone clarify this point? Is this a "bug"?

Thanks,
Dennis Campnell
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dlcampnell wrote:I printed the Annual Bishop's tithing settlement report and noticed that everyone who donated during the year was listed on the report, including people who have moved out of the ward.

I was under the impression that this report should only list CURRENT ward members.

Can anyone clarify this point? Is this a "bug"?
This is how it has worked for many years -- it has nothing to do with CUBS changes. The report lists all members and donors for the year, even if they have moved. For members who have moved, just note "moved" in the notes field. See Frequently asked questions in the wiki under Tithing settlement.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I don't have access to MLS at the moment, but there is a way to show only current members - either one of the options in the upper right hand corner or by making all former members "hidden". I believe, but cannot verify that all donors in my MLS defaulted to where they were showing on all the reports when CUBS started. I went in and switched the former members back to hidden. Hopefully I haven't messed something else up by doing that. The report I gave the Branch President only had current members (donors and non-donors) listed.

On a related topic - my understanding is that members who have donated to more than one unit will receive their tax statement from CHQ - correct? Do I need to worry about sending them a YTD donation summary?
djgreenland

Post by djgreenland »

When a donor moves out of the ward/branch a clerk can use add/update donors to change the donors' status to "member of another unit". This will remove them from the Tithing Declaration Report. This gives the bishop a cleaner report that is easier to use.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:On a related topic - my understanding is that members who have donated to more than one unit will receive their tax statement from CHQ - correct? Do I need to worry about sending them a YTD donation summary?
This was something that crislapi and I (and a few others) were told when we met with the CUBS product manager. See this post and the followup posts in that thread for some details. However, I don't recall seeing any official confirmation of this in any published documents, so I'd be wary about relying on this. It may have been the intention at one time, but won't get implemented this year. I just don't know for sure.

Also, I suspect that if such a statement is sent by CHQ, it will not have as many details as the one generated by the ward, so it would be helpful to still deliver official tax statements to all your ward members, regardless of whether they tell you that they donated to some other unit during the year.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

dlcampnell wrote:I printed the Annual Bishop's tithing settlement report and noticed that everyone who donated during the year was listed on the report, including people who have moved out of the ward.

Assuming that you are referring to the Tithing Declaration Report for All Members, that is also my impression. In fact, my ward's MLS (v 3.2.4) still works that way today.

I just spot-checked a fresh copy of that report, and it omits members who moved out of the ward during the year.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

djgreenland wrote:When a donor moves out of the ward/branch a clerk can use add/update donors to change the donors' status to "member of another unit". This will remove them from the Tithing Declaration Report. This gives the bishop a cleaner report that is easier to use.

I tried to do that last night when I noticed members who had moved out of the ward are showing as Non-member and Visible. If you select the "Member of another Unit" option, you have to provide the unit number. While I see the value in that, how in the world would a Clerk know what ward a member is now in who moved over a year ago?:confused:

I just marked them "hidden" and left them as Non-member.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”