October Donations missing in MLS?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Primetime5-p40

Post by Primetime5-p40 »

crislapi wrote:While the suggestion above might work, I highly doubt you have the time to go back through an entire year of donations and re-enter donor info. Sorry, but you are probably going to want to go through LUS to get this resolved. It won't happen tonight, but it'll spare you hours of work.

In the interim, the only other thing I can think of is to use the same technique given for recovering pre-CUBS financial information but this time to print individual statements instead of budget reports. This would only contain donations through the 17th of October, but that's more accurate than what you can currently get out of MLS it sounds like.

See this post for how to begin the process.
Luckily we've only been a ward since August, so we have about 14 weeks of data and 10 are showing that error. What is LUS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Primetime5 wrote:What is LUS?
LUS stands for Local Unit Support (follow that link for a variety of contact options).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bakahre-p40

Correcting donations from "CFAR History" to correct donor names

Post by bakahre-p40 »

Primetime5 wrote:We are seeing CFAR lump sums instead of individual donors for every week except the last 3. When I click on donation it actually lists CFAR as the donor with the lump sums totaled in each donation category accordingly.
I am having the same problem for the Oct. 10 deposit only. I can't adjust the donor name because there is only one donor, "CFAR History", and I can't add additional donors to the same batch. I tried adding different "slips" to the one donations, but it wouldn't allow that either.

The problem is that some of the members in my branch are worried about their statements for tax purposes that one of their donations in the YTD Summary isn't showing up, and consequently won't show up in their tax letter after the end of the year.

I just can't figure out how to transfer the correct donor names to MLS so that it shows on their YTD.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bakahre wrote:I am having the same problem for the Oct. 10 deposit only. I can't adjust the donor name because there is only one donor, "CFAR History", and I can't add additional donors to the same batch. I tried adding different "slips" to the one donations, but it wouldn't allow that either.

The problem is that some of the members in my branch are worried about their statements for tax purposes that one of their donations in the YTD Summary isn't showing up, and consequently won't show up in their tax letter after the end of the year.

I just can't figure out how to transfer the correct donor names to MLS so that it shows on their YTD.
As crislapi noted in this post (which was a response to the post you quoted), there's not really anything we can do to help you on this issue -- you'll need to contact Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
atticusewig

Use external program for exceptions

Post by atticusewig »

Whenever MLS doesn't want to cooperate and there are
actual tax consequences I would recommend you re-create
the tax-document in Openoffice.org (Writer or Calc, as your
preference dictates) and enter in the changes manually.

As long as you print it on letterhead, and get the Bishop
to sign it, it should be legal.

It will require a little more clerk work, but it can save the
frustration of trying to get MLS to work properly or the
time spent trying to contact Local Unit Support.

- Atticus
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:Whenever MLS doesn't want to cooperate and there are actual tax consequences I would recommend you re-create
the tax-document in Openoffice.org (Writer or Calc, as your
preference dictates) and enter in the changes manually.
I would use great caution in doing that. It is treading in tax law where none of us are professionals. Do we know for sure that the purpose contributed to meets all the requirements of a "charitable donation" for tax purposes? After all, not all funds given to the church are automatically "charitable".

Do you really want to risk legal problems for a volunteer job? Would the Church come to your aid when you've gone outside of their polices?

Personally, I would not do it, or even suggest doing it, unless that specific fund was cleared by CHQ and that's how they say to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
apsmith

Same problem reported in our stake

Post by apsmith »

One of our units just called last night with this exact problem, the October 10 donations were not showing up under individual donor's records, and there was just the one CFAR history entry. I would appreciate hearing if anybody who has had this exact problem has had it resolved, and how, thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

apsmith wrote:One of our units just called last night with this exact problem, the October 10 donations were not showing up under individual donor's records, and there was just the one CFAR history entry. I would appreciate hearing if anybody who has had this exact problem has had it resolved, and how, thanks!

Part of the CUBS transition process was to review and make certain that all of the batches before CUBS were still in the database after the conversion.

See the CUBS instructions for the fix.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Part of the CUBS transition process was to review and make certain that all of the batches before CUBS were still in the database after the conversion.

See the CUBS instructions for the fix.
Yes, but those instructions simply say "If there is a missing donation batch, re-enter this batch." That's not a very comforting directive for a unit that is missing a lot of batches.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Yes, but those instructions simply say "If there is a missing donation batch, re-enter this batch." That's not a very comforting directive for a unit that is missing a lot of batches.

Comforting, no. I agree. Nevertheless, it appears from the thread that the October 10th batch is missing. If that is the only one, I think re-entering the batch is the solution that will be given.

Granted, if a unit is missing a lot of batches, I would be on the phone to support and let them "help" resolve the issue.

What would concern me is that the missing batch was discovered when donations did not show up on year-end reports. That would imply that a thorough check was not completed at the time of the conversion in October.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”