Stake budget check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mjgainer wrote:How exactly does one "cut a check" to a ward? How does the ward process it so the money does not just get funneled back to Church Headquarters? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this whole thing and don't quite get it.
For the stake to write a check to the ward:
  1. Go to Finance > Enter Expenses
  2. Make sure the Payee is the desired ward. The payee should be of type "Another unit" and have the ward's unit number specified.
  3. Create the check as usual. In this context, the category would be "Budget:Budget Allocations" (or possibly a subcategory of that category, if desired).
  4. Deliver the check to the bishop.
For the ward to process the donation:
  1. In a normal donation batch (Finance > Enter Donations), process the check from the stake.
  2. As you process the donation slip for that check on the donation batch, make sure the donor is the stake. The donor record should be of type "Another unit" and have the stake's unit number specified.
  3. Put the money in Budget by clicking on the blue Budget link in the category list. In the popup that appears, specify the category as "Budget:Budget Allocations".
  4. Specify the check number for that donation as usual.
Under CUBS, budget funds remain in the ward, just like ward missionary and Other. So you don't have to worry about the funds going back to CHQ as long as you put it in a subcategory of Budget.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mjgainer

Post by mjgainer »

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if this information was somewhere else already. I searched the forum and wiki and couldn't find it anywhere.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”