CUBS Budget:Other and Other:XXXX confusion

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Isn't there a category Budget:Young Single Adult? Seems like that would be a good place.
To be precise, it's "Budget:Single Adults," but that would indeed be another category that could be used. You can create subcategories under that category such as "Budget:Single Adults:Activities" (but remember that you can't create categories nested any deeper than that third level).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
djgreenland

Post by djgreenland »

I have done a lot of one on one training with the wards clerks and some of the bishops since the change. It has been very interesting to see how much confusion is caused by using the term "Other" in a budget category.
I would agree with a change to "misc", "more" or something else in place of "other". If we don't see a change then we will just continue to teach on the differences.
I am one that likes to run headlong into the next thing. As I take a deep breath and look at this latest change I am greatful for the blessings it will bring as we learn to use it.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

idjeeper wrote:As a YSA branch, our biggest budget category has always been the Activities Committee. In CUBS, that committee has been banished. Does anyone have some ideas about where a sub-category for Activities Committee should be created?
Another silent change has been made to MLS in the last few days. In my Stake MLS this morning I noticed "Budget:Activities Committee" now appears in the category list. Luckily I did not make any transactions with the "Budget:Other:Activities Committee" subcategory I had created and was able to delete it.
JLR
jwnice

Partial Solution - updated training

Post by jwnice »

One of the BEST solutions that I think could be done is for an UPDATED training on MLS & CUBS. The most recent update to the training modules is 2008. When they make major changes like this, they need to release updated training at the same time as it would greatly reduce the confusion, questions, and misunderstanding. :)

But this is SO MUCH BETTER that what I had to use in 1974 when I was first called as clerk. A book (11 x 17) to record all expenses, weekly deposits (in triplicate). Typing the receipts three to a page, again in triplicate. Membership records that were hand written on 5 x 8 cards. When someone moved in, you sent a request to Salt Lake, they sent a request to the ward they were from, that ward sent the records to Salt Lake, then Salt Lake sent them to you. If you got membership records within a minth, you were lucky!

This is progress brothers, work WITH it and not AGAINST it!:D

James Nice
Ward Clerk
Sandy River Ward
Mt Hood Oregon Stake
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

idjeeper wrote:I'm struggling with the categories and hope someone can shed some light, or at least some suggestions.

As a YSA branch, our biggest budget category has always been the Activities Committee. In CUBS, that committee has been banished. Does anyone have some ideas about where a sub-category for Activities Committee should be created?

I created one under Other, but I'm thinking that might be inappropriate. I just can't see any of the other categories that look better.
Just saw this post. Looks like an activities committee subcategory has been silently added to Budget.
HunsakerTG

Post by HunsakerTG »

I've changed my mind about the use of Budget:Other. Our quorum and auxiliary leaders won't focus on the word "other" at all as long as the name assigned to each (lowest level) budget category is able to stand on its own merit.

I also believe it is critical for us to attend this Saturday's Worldwide Leadership Training. I doubt CUBS will be addressed or even hinted at, however, because we do have a few weeks experience with the new system, the spirit behind It will undoubtably become very obvious. Updated MLS & CUBS training can then follow.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

JLRose wrote:Another silent change has been made to MLS in the last few days. In my Stake MLS this morning I noticed "Budget:Activities Committee" now appears in the category list. Luckily I did not make any transactions with the "Budget:Other:Activities Committee" subcategory I had created and was able to delete it.
Noticed this today when I did an initial send/receive. Unfortunately I can't delete the subcategory I made, so it's there for eternity. Small issue compared to having a member hanging out for a couple a hundred while I wait for CUBS fixes.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

idjeeper wrote:Small issue compared to having a member hanging out for a couple a hundred while I wait for CUBS fixes.
Not sure exactly what this means, but it sounds like you're holding off on reimbursing a member until all CUBS patches have been made. There is no need for this. Reimburse as normal. The fixes aren't going to change the money you have.

From the e-doc:
Issue: Can I write checks with no Budget?
Most wards and branches will start with a negative or zero balance. (If checks were written after October 17, or distribution center charges occurred in October, they now show in MLS, creating a negative balance). Stakes will now send their wards a check for their portion of their budget left for the year. Until this happens, wards can still write checks and code expenses to the appropriate budget subcategory. Wards may show a negative balance until they receive the budget check from the stake.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

crislapi wrote:Not sure exactly what this means, but it sounds like you're holding off on reimbursing a member until all CUBS patches have been made. There is no need for this. Reimburse as normal. The fixes aren't going to change the money you have.

From the e-doc:
No, no - paying as normal. It was just a matter of deciding where to put the expense initially, then finding the proper category came along after the deal was done. I do know that some units have been holding off until their allocations come from the stake - I educate as I can when I see that.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

chartman wrote:A suggestion to the programmers - how about changing the name of the CUBS "Budget:Other" subcategory to "Budget:More"
They listened. i noticed today that my Budget:Other was now listed as Budget:Miscellaneous

Return to “Local Unit Finance”