CUBS: Other: Balances not what they used to be - How do I fix?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
EarloftheWest-p40

Other Category.

Post by EarloftheWest-p40 »

I would like to add that it would be nice if I could deactivate the items under the other category that are no longer valid.
At this point, I don't see any reason why the other category needs to be locked down like the budget categories were.
Of possible interest, I have a negative $95.22 in my Budget: Administration post CUBS transfer.
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

ralitaco wrote:
I suggest you look at the 2 sets of reports that you printed. You need to compare the totals of the "Other" accts (main and subs) from the 17th match the total of the "Other: Payable to Local Unit" accts (main and subs).
If the totals match, you are in great shape.
Yeah, I'm off by $192.13 when comparing the two totals. Looks like I'll be waiting for further instruction to see what the issue is. If I don't see any messages in MLS, and if I don't see any action items in the statement, and if the stake finance clerk isn't sure, and no one here is knows what to do, I will probably call Local Unit Support in another week. :)

Thanks again!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ralitaco wrote:Because the Other:Payable to Local Unit accts are local, will they be on the Financial statements?
Yes, but not in detail. All subcategories under Other will be combined and an overall status will appear on the new statements. The other account will have action items associated with it. While we'll all know soon enough what the new statement looks like, here's the link to a sample one posted by DJC. Notice an action item for Other on the 2nd page of the "category" demo.
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Well, I've waited to see if anything changed, but unfortunately I've forgotten how to reconcile the differences and things are swimming in my head again. (e.g. I'm confused)

So, before my head explodes, I thought I could ask for help here. It has now been a month and a half and I've seen two Finance statements with NO action items relating to the unreconciled differences between the two Budget Amounts (Oct 17 and Oct 24) and the Other/AMFA amounts.

So... here are my questions:

Q: How do I check to see if any MLS updates fixed my balance discrepancies between my Oct 17th balances and Oct 24th balances? (I'm guessing just a I&E report using custom dates?)

Q: If there is still a discrepancy, do I just call LUS?

THANK YOU!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

coloradotechie wrote:It has now been a month and a half and I've seen two Finance statements with NO action items relating to the unreconciled differences between the two Budget Amounts (Oct 17 and Oct 24) and the Other/AMFA amounts.

So... here are my questions:

Q: How do I check to see if any MLS updates fixed my balance discrepancies between my Oct 17th balances and Oct 24th balances? (I'm guessing just a I&E report using custom dates?)

Q: If there is still a discrepancy, do I just call LUS?
First, I'd be careful of the dates you use. They will make a difference. Although you didn't enter any finances during the week of the 17th, transfers and expenses were posted by CHQ. I would use dates that match up with the Oct CUFS and UFS (old version went through Oct 19; new one picked up starting Oct 20).

I am waiting for updates to fix my balances and nothing has come down yet to correct it. The bug fixes are conveniently not being mentioned in the release notes, so there's no way to know what has been fixed and what hasn't other than playing around in MLS and seeing if your issue is cleared up.

If you run an I&E report from 1 Jan 2010 to 19 Oct 2010, the overall balance of budget should be zero and the overall balance of your Other should match the ending balance on your CUFS for Oct 1 - Oct 19. If you are affected by the bug, your balances will be negative instead (assuming Other was $0). If they are, take note of the difference. Nothing has fixed this yet and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Until they are, just know that your balances are short by the noted difference.

Calling LUS will likely have no benefit for this issue. They are dependent on the programmers fixing it.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Another observation for me, at least - the CFS for my stake shows the correct balance in Budget and Other for all my units, even though MLS is showing incorrect balances. Well, Other is definitely correct. I'll take a closer look at budget, but I'm fairly confident it's correct, too.

If this is your case as well (your statement shows correct balances but MLS does not), you need to wait for the programmers to send down a patch.

If, instead, you problem is that the ending balance of your Oct 19 statement does not match the starting balance of your Oct 20 statement, this is a bit more disconcerting. If you cannot track down the reason for the difference yourself, yes, I would call LUS.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

crislapi wrote: If, instead, you problem is that the ending balance of your Oct 19 statement does not match the starting balance of your Oct 20 statement, this is a bit more disconcerting. If you cannot track down the reason for the difference yourself, yes, I would call LUS.
I was informed by LUS that you should match the Oct 19 statement's
Net Available Funds to the Oct 20 statement's beginning balance.

It is contray to the message they sent out, but matches for my unit, so it seems to be right.

- Atticus
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:I was informed by LUS that you should match the Oct 19 statement's Net Available Funds to the Oct 20 statement's beginning balance.

It is contrary to the message they sent out, but matches for my unit, so it seems to be right.
That does make sense. The 19 October 2010 Ending Balance would not have included checks that were written prior to that date if they had not cleared the bank. But the Net Available Funds figure would include any outstanding checks.

The balance in MLS (both before and after CUBS) reflects all checks that have been written from MLS and all deposits made through MLS, even if those have not been processed by the bank yet. So MLS balances do correspond more accurately with the Net Available Funds balance than the Ending Balance. So the Net Available Funds balance is the one that should be used when comparing pre-CUBS and post-CUBS balances.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kvnstnkr-p40

Post by kvnstnkr-p40 »

I think I have the same problem that's been discussed here, and it sounds like the answer is keep waiting.
My pre-CUBS statement has a balance of $45.62 in all the Other accounts. My post-CUBS I&E reports have a balance of only $13.24 in the Other accounts. But my CUFS both show a balance of $45.62 in Other post-CUBS. (No expenses out of Other post-CUBS). This is something that I just wait for a patch to fix?

Thanks,
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

kvnstnkr wrote:I think I have the same problem that's been discussed here, and it sounds like the answer is keep waiting.
My pre-CUBS statement has a balance of $45.62 in all the Other accounts. My post-CUBS I&E reports have a balance of only $13.24 in the Other accounts. But my CUFS both show a balance of $45.62 in Other post-CUBS. (No expenses out of Other post-CUBS). This is something that I just wait for a patch to fix?
Yes. I haven't seen a patch yet.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”