CUBS: Other: Balances not what they used to be - How do I fix?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

Our stake "Other" balances were off by $100+ so I decided to dig into the reports and find out why. I had a detailed expense report and went through line by line and matched each expense on the pre-CUBS report to the expense on the post-CUBS report.

I found a handfull of FHC DC orders from 2007 that were in CUBS that were not in my pre-CUBS report. . My only guess is that these expenses were entered into MLS as a budget expense which would account for the statement reconcilation to be in balance while masking the truth that we had hidded Other expenses.

Now that I have a good understanding why my Other account was off, I need to dig into the budget being off-balance.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RWoodmansee wrote:I found a handfull of FHC DC orders from 2007 that were in CUBS that were not in my pre-CUBS report. . My only guess is that these expenses were entered into MLS as a budget expense which would account for the statement reconcilation to be in balance while masking the truth that we had hidded Other expenses.
Was it 2007 or were they actually 31 Dec 2006? Pre-CUBS did not include anything before 2007, but CUBS has included some. I suppose this is because year end usually something like Dec 30 at at noon or something like that, and anything entered after that is considered part of the new year.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

crislapi wrote:Was it 2007 or were they actually 31 Dec 2006?

The expenses were in Janauary, June and August of 2007.

Earlier posts suggest that we wait for the first CUB's version of the financial statement and see if the missing expenses are listed in the 'Action Items'. Our missing expenses were 'missing' from our pre-CUBs MLS. They were 'found' post CUBS. I doubt that they will show up as action items because CUBS and our current MLS match.

The question is what to do about a short fall in our Other/Payable To Local Unit accout. The only recoure is to determine which 'Other' account is going to get hit with an unexpeted 'expense'. (or we could write a check from our budget to fund the unexpected Other expenses.... but then we would have a budget category with unexplained expenses...)
ralitaco

Do I create new Other subcategories

Post by ralitaco »

I had the same issue, too. The Other categories that I zeroed out now had Positive totals in them but the "Other: Payable to the Local Unit" acct had a negative balance. I transferred the balances from the sub accts to to get the Parent to zero and the 3 other accts that I had before the transition now have the same balance as before.

Here is my question: in the Budget categories list, I cannot add any subcategories where all the above accounts were listed, they are frozen.
I am wondering if I am supposed to add a NEW sub category Other acct and transfer the balances.

I guess I thought that I read somewhere that there were several categories/subcategories that would go away about 3 months down the road if they had zero balances.
As I think about it, I believe what I recall was actually referring to Budget subcategories, but I am assuming the same would apply to OTHER.

Hope that made some sense...any help would be great.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ralitaco wrote:Here is my question: in the Budget categories list, I cannot add any subcategories where all the above accounts were listed, they are frozen.
I am wondering if I am supposed to add a NEW sub category Other acct and transfer the balances.
Not sure exactly where you are referring to, but you cannot add new subcategories under Budget. You can add sub-categories to the default budget subcategories CUBS gave you, but you are limited to one level. Any of your old budget categories that carried over are locked. You cannot add subcategories to them (they are already at the lowest level CUBS allows: sub-sub categories), you cannot rename them and you cannot delete them.
ralitaco wrote:I guess I thought that I read somewhere that there were several categories/subcategories that would go away about 3 months down the road if they had zero balances.
As I think about it, I believe what I recall was actually referring to Budget subcategories, but I am assuming the same would apply to OTHER
The official information only specifies that old sub-categories in Ward Missionary would go away after they had been inactive for 2 months. I made a comment that I hoped it would happen for these old budget categories as well, but I don't have high hopes.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

My stake appears to have never used Other so I decided to dive into a ward MLS that did. I found they showed a negative balance post-CUBS despite my making sure they were zero at every audit over the past 2 years, and then keeping it zero what I was the ward clerk in that unit for the 2 years preceding that.

A more detailed explanation is posted here but in essence, it seems to be related to checks that are pulling from original Other subcategories that show no income or insufficient income to cover the expense. Basically, donations were made pre-2007 but the checks were cut in 2007. That means their is no income to cover the expense. I'd expect the balance forward from 2006 to take care of this, but it is inadequate.

That seems to infer that there was either a "hiccup" when processing Other, resulting in an incorrect balance forward being supplied (not likely) or some error that got masked pre-2007 that I can no longer investigate has reappeared. That, unfortunately, is more plausible to me.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

crislapi wrote:Not sure exactly where you are referring to, but you cannot add new subcategories under Budget. You can add sub-categories to the default budget subcategories CUBS gave you, but you are limited to one level. Any of your old budget categories that carried over are locked. You cannot add subcategories to them (they are already at the lowest level CUBS allows: sub-sub categories), you cannot rename them and you cannot delete them.

crislapi,
After I reread my post, I wasn't sure either, but let me try to be a little more specific although I am not in front of the ward pc and I don't have the screens memorized as I have only been the financial clerk for a few months.

(I am trying to do this from memory so please bear with me)

PRE-CUBS:
In the Budget category list there was an "Other" Category
Below the "Other" Category were 3 subcategories with positive balances: "2010 Food Basket", "2010 Scout Camp", "Head Stone"

POST-CUBS:
I have a category "Other: Payable to Local Unit"
I also have all the sub categories that I had previously. i.e.-"Other:Payable to Local Unit: 2010 Food Basket", "Other:Payable to Local Unit: 2010 Scout Camp", etc
They each have the correct dollar amounts that were in their previously.

What I am trying to figure out is whether or not I am supposed to continue using these "Other:Payable to Local Unit: xxxxxx" categories that were created during the transitions. I am not sure because they are greyed out (so to speak).

OR am I supposed to create "fresh" Other sub-categories and transfer the funds out of the ones created during the transition.

I hope that clarifies it some.
Thanks, for your help.

(Note sure if this needs to be in its own thread or not.
I apologize if I am hijacking this one)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ralitaco wrote:What I am trying to figure out is whether or not I am supposed to continue using these "Other:Payable to Local Unit: xxxxxx" categories that were created during the transitions. I am not sure because they are greyed out (so to speak).

OR am I supposed to create "fresh" Other sub-categories and transfer the funds out of the ones created during the transition.
Those categories are fine to use. Because they can't be deleted or changed at this point, they are definitely what you should use. If you were to create fresh subcategories, then your reports would look like they had duplicate categories.

The categories themselves are not "greyed out" or disabled -- it's only the deletion and renaming of them that is disabled. So go ahead and use them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Thank you Alan.
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Okay, as a final note of what I did:

Yesterday I followed the instructions from the 9 page email and I transferred money out of the "Other:Payable to Local Unit:<sub-category-name>" to "Other:Payable to Local Unit" to re-establish all balances that were in their previously.

(Note: Since I waited to do this until Oct 31 I had to take special care for any income or expenses to each of these categories during the Post-CUBS update and Oct. 31).

I'm left with -$192.13 in "Other:Payable to Local Unit".

How am I going to fix this? I do not know. I was thinking about trying to reconcile the old report with the new one, but I don't have tons of time. I thought about trying to get PDF versions of the reports to to some reconcilation in excel, but I can't seem to convert the PDF data to excel... so it looks like I'm stuck.

Thanks!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”