CUBS is live

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

GregAnderson wrote:As I look at our Budget summary I see that following certain activities with another Ward we were reimbursed to the tune of just over $150 back into our Ward Budget. But now that we've received our financial information back from HQ our budget balance is zero. Shouldn't we still have credit for the $150+ which was still supposed to be available for 2010?
Yes it should still be there, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is WHERE you expect it to be. First question - how did you enter the credit? I'd assume since it shows in income you entered it as a donation. Any former budget category I had that had been donated to at any time since Jan 1 2007 (had values in the income column) appeared as a subcategory under Budget:Budget Allocations. If it's not there, I'd open up the batch corresponding to that deposit and see if it's still there. Se what category the donation was put into and, if you don't like the category it is in, change it to be the category you now want it to be in.

I think the reason categories w/ income still appear post-CUBS is because CUBS was not able to change the category info for donations like they could checks. Just a thought.
grantw

Getting Pre CUBS reports

Post by grantw »

We started enabling CUBS today in our stake. There came up the situation where once CUBS was enabled and clerks could get into the financial system again, they wanted to restore a previous database to print reports they were missing from before the change over. Once the reports were generated and the most current "pre-CUBS" database restored, they were locked out of finances again and a send/receive would not re download the CUBS data.

Is there any way to get MLS to resend the CUBS data once it's been downloaded, or do I need to call CHQ on Monday to get a flag set to resend the data?

Thanks for your help.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

bragado wrote:We started enabling CUBS today in our stake. There came up the situation where once CUBS was enabled and clerks could get into the financial system again, they wanted to restore a previous database to print reports they were missing from before the change over. Once the reports were generated and the most current "pre-CUBS" database restored, they were locked out of finances again and a send/receive would not re download the CUBS data.

Is there any way to get MLS to resend the CUBS data once it's been downloaded, or do I need to call CHQ on Monday to get a flag set to resend the data?
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do on your side. By restoring from a backup, they have undone the conversion the CUBS. They will be locked out until they can contact LUS and request a new CUBS setup file be sent down. Since LUS is only open during the week, they will be locked out today.

It may be tempting to go back to the backup where finances is not locked out for today, but I wouldn't recommend it. The conversion appears to be based on your data up to the 17th and their data from that point on. Anything you enter after the 17th will be erased with the conversion and need to be reentered. Restoring from a previous backup means you will lose all the data from the 17th as well as any of the new data entered.

Again, anyone on CUBS do NOT restore from backups!!! There are other options to try if you did not print your reports. Posts #7 & 8 in this thread point to another thread with a couple options.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:The conversion appears to be based on your data up to the 17th and their data from that point on. Anything you enter after the 17th will be erased with the conversion and need to be reentered. Restoring from a previous backup means you will lose all the data from the 17th as well as any of the new data entered.
Thinking about it, I would reword this. It's not "based" on your data at all. All data is replaced with the financial data from CHQ, so everything is rewritten. To not see discrepancies in your reports, you need everything entered up to the 17th. Data entered on a non-CUBS enabled machine after that date will be deleted when your database is converted to CUBS again.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

crislapi wrote: At first glance, things are pretty similar. No surprises there. I thought I'd make a list of the new financial categories for the curious. None of these were there before. The categories we had before are now sub-categories under Budget:Budget Allocations and are still prepended with the "BU-" from the old system. The budget categories are:
Budget:Administration
Budget:Budget Allocations
Budget:Curriculum
Budget: Distribution Center Charges (have to add space or I get a smiley)
Budget:Elders Quorum
Budget:High Priests Group
Budget:Library
Budget:Other
Budget:Primary
Budget:Relief Society
Budget:Single Adults
Budget:Sunday School
Budget:Young Men
Budget:Young Women
LTORDUSA1 wrote:My categories look like this:
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Activities Committe
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Relief Society
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Ward Supplies
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Young Men
Budget:Cirriculum
Budget:High Priest Group
Budget:Relief Society
Budget:Young Men
Budget:Young Women
[...]

So this gives me two categories for Relief Society and Young Men.
Which one do I use and which one do I delete if possible?
Based on this, to me it looks like the subcategories prepended with "Budget Allocations:" are the old budget's subcategories.

This leads me to believe that I'm going to want to zero out all the "Budget Allocations:" subcategories, by transferring their amounts to the corresponding "new" budget subcategories. Then set those old subcategories' status to inactive so that they will eventually disappear.

My logic is that this is similar to migrating the callings/positions in MLS from custom callings to the corresponding "standard" callings.

I hope my assumptions are correct.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:Based on this, to me it looks like the subcategories prepended with "Budget Allocations:" are the old budget's subcategories.
The subcategories of "Budget Allocations" are indeed old budget subcategories, but only a subset of them. They are the budget subcategories that anytime since 1 Jan 2007 have had any deposits made to them. The balances you will see in those subcategories is the sum of all the deposits for those nearly four years.
jbh001 wrote:This leads me to believe that I'm going to want to zero out all the "Budget Allocations:" subcategories, by transferring their amounts to the corresponding "new" budget subcategories. Then set those old subcategories' status to inactive so that they will eventually disappear.
That's a good plan -- those subcategories of Budget Allocations are unfortunate and really not helpful at all. They do need to be zeroed out. Unfortunately, you can't make those subcategories inactive -- all the subcategories that you see immediately after the CUBS transition are fixed and unchangeable. You are stuck with them. I hope that they will go away after three full calendar years of inactivity, but I don't know.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

It occurred to us yesterday that we REALLY wished CHQ had done this the first of January...Just two months away...
slh531977-p40

Backup of finance data

Post by slh531977-p40 »

i just realized today that I never did the Backup of finance data yesterday. In the old world, we always got a prompt that "finance data has changed, please backup"). There was never a prompt to remind me. Is this a bug in CUBS or are we just supposed to remember all the time, or is it not as necessary anymore?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

kisaac wrote:It occurred to us yesterday that we REALLY wished CHQ had done this the first of January...Just two months away...
I think this is one of those 6 vs a half dozen type things. At least this way we can close out all the mess from the transition in the next few months and not worry about it any more. If they had done it in January, we might have to try to remember why we did some of the things we're having to do in a year's time. That could be especially problematic for newly called clerks a year from now.

Personally, I think this will work out better in the long run.
ffrsqpilot

Problems with the conversion

Post by ffrsqpilot »

nutterb wrote: At least this way we can close out all the mess from the transition in the next few months

I wish the transition would have gone smoother but for at least our stake computer that is not the case. "Mess" is probably not the most apt description of what some of us found yesterday but it isn't far from the truth. Hopefully we can factor out the "mess" part and get to the data we need to make our systems read right. Complete instructions from MLS support would surely help.

My frustration lies in that fact that I can't determine what exactly is or is not a discrepancy with what now shows on the computer. Specifically it looks like the Income and Expense Report is no where close to what I was expecting it to look like. The extra $21,000 in the remaining budget for Young Woman's camp is going to make for one really really happy Stake YW's president!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”