CUBS is live

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:The categories we had before are now sub-categories under Budget:Budget Allocations and are still prepended with the "BU-" from the old system.
Interesting. I wanted to rename our old categories so they fit better in the new system. However, I cannot. Each of them has a red X next to it indicating they are not editable.

I cannot add subcategories to the (main) Budget category but I can add sub-sub-categories (i.e. I can add sub-categories to any of the Budget sub-categories, creating sub-sub budget categories).

I can also add sub-categories to Other. All other main categories are locked out, as expected.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

There is some additional info here. Wanted to add one more thing but it seems to fit better here. The 2010 Q4 disbursement information is in CUBS. As far as I can tell, it was all disbursed to the stake, since it predates CUBS (my credits are all dated Oct 7).

The additional observation here is that there is also an OTA (Out of turn adjustment) dated Oct 18. This appears to be our final tax reimbursement for Jul 1 2010 - Oct 17 2010. This only applies to units in Utah and North Carolina, but thought I'd point it out so you know not to expect it next July.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:I have one other unit running MLS 3.3.0b. I was told to definitely hold off on transitioning them until I hear back from LUS.
Ok, my corrupted ward is now repaired thanks to some tlc and late night work by a programmer. Their tables?? were corrupted even pre-CUBS so the conversion just highlighted the issue. They sent me a rebuilt backup to restore from this morning and it worked great. Everything up and running without database errors and appears to have converted just fine.

That motivated me to try converting my other ward that is also running MLS 3.3.0(beta) but on XP Pro. I did upgrade them to MLS 3.3.0b2 first and I didn't have a single issue.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

njcant1 wrote: So, let's say, hypothetically, of course, that a unit did not print these reports on the 17th? Is this ward essentially up a river without a paddle, so to speak? Are they having to basically start over and have to try to remember what their budget sub-category allocations were, or the specific names of the budget subcategories that they would want to re-include? And hope that all donation batches have been included?
LVAllen wrote:Well, hypothetically, I think you could try to get MLS installed on another computer, restore from the backup on the 17th, and print the reports that way.
That could be messy since that computer with the live data on it would then have to be scrubbed. I don't recommend doing that without first checking with the stake clerk, who might then seek guidance from Local Unit Support.
crislapi wrote:The other option is, of course, to just finish out the year with what money the stake gives you as best you can and then restart in earnest on Jan 2011.
And with just over 2 months left until January, that might be the best option.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jbh001 wrote:That could be messy since that computer with the live data on it would then have to be scrubbed.
True, although scrubbing is not that difficult. Follow the "Uninstall" and "Clean Folders" instructions under "Clean Install" found here in the Wiki. Just be sure to empty the recycle bin when you are done.

Another option now that finances are unlocked is to add your unit to another unit's MLS (option under sytem options to have multiple units share a single MLS installation). Restoring from the backup should bring your finances as they were before. When you are done, remove the unit and clean out the folder w/ your unit number under "C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\data" and "C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\Units".

No scrubbing is needed until that computer is replaced by FM.
LTORDUSA1-p40

View/Edit Budget

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

First of all, thank you for all your support in this conversion.
I have a few questions. The conversion went well today after being notified that CUBS is now live. It took about a half an hours to down load and update the computer in my ward. However, when I looked at the Budget Categories I have duplicates of some categories and some are missing. Of course all dispersements are located under the Budget:Administration and the categories are zero'd.
My categories look like this:
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Activities Committe
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Relief Society
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Ward Supplies
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Young Men
Budget:Cirriculum
Budget:High Priest Group
Budget:Relief Society
Budget:Young Men
Budget:Young Women
With all the other categories being listed, I'm just not taking the effort to list them.
So this gives me two categories for Relief Society and Young Men.
Which one do I use and which one do I delete if possible?

In the Enter Expenses, there is no place to enter the Utah sales tax.Do I use a sub-category to enter that or do I just enter the amount of the purchase minus the Utah sales tax?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:So this gives me two categories for Relief Society and Young Men. Which one do I use and which one do I delete if possible?
In looking more closely at mine, the sub-sub-categories that were preserved appear to just be those that have either a balance forward in them or income. So I'm going to guess that if you do an Income and Expense Report that shows a Summary by Sub-Category, you will notice the only reason the categories below were preserved was for that reason, too.
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Relief Society
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Ward Supplies
Budget:Budget Allocations: BU-Young Men

When I look at mine under Budget>Add/Update Categories, they are active, but I cannot rename them.

Which one you use does not matter. That is your own local preference. However, my intuition tells me that as soon as I transfer out the balance forward/income from these categories, they will disappear. I just want to figure out where it's coming from first!
LTORDUSA1 wrote:In the Enter Expenses, there is no place to enter the Utah sales tax.Do I use a sub-category to enter that or do I just enter the amount of the purchase minus the Utah sales tax?
Sales tax is entered on a second row in the Category & Amount window (select budget category in first column, and amount in 2nd column). The category is near the bottom. It should be called "Reimbursed Expenses:Utah Sales Tax"
gregwanderson

CHQ Took Away Our Reimbursed Money!

Post by gregwanderson »

As I look at our Budget summary I see that following certain activities with another Ward we were reimbursed to the tune of just over $150 back into our Ward Budget. But now that we've received our financial information back from HQ our budget balance is zero. Shouldn't we still have credit for the $150+ which was still supposed to be available for 2010?

(See attached image for details of what I'm trying to explain.)
Attachments
Budget-Summary-from-Change.jpg
(23.7 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
ecotim

Check writing

Post by ecotim »

HI;

When I read that CUBS was active I went and did the transmit, so now I can write checks that we waited to do. I have a big issue. I hope just my old computer. I entered the data hit save and it felt like five minutes went by before I was able to do the next check. Has anyone else tried to do a check and get the same lag?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ecotim wrote:... I entered the data hit save and it felt like five minutes went by before I was able to do the next check. Has anyone else tried to do a check and get the same lag?
I haven't done a check yet but I have been in the finances playing w/ transfers, etc quite a bit. Yes, I have noticed that it is quite slow.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”