CUBS Transition Period Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
atticusewig
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

Postby atticusewig » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:54 am

JamesP wrote:Not so much. I just called to get an emergency, hand-written check authorized, and I was told in no uncertain terms by a very stern Church rep that the Church as ZERO system in place for handling emergency fast offering checks this week, and that they wouldn't be able to verify it.

So, I'm at a loss for what to do. We have a couple who just came in last night and is going to be evicted today if we don't get the rental company a check.

Any suggestions?? I could maybe just give them the check but if they call to verify funds they're going to get a no...


In this situation, we would find someone in the ward (usually in the Bishopric or High Priests Group) willing to write a check out of personal funds to the rental company, and then reimburse them with a Fast Offering check once checks are functioning again. It is a rare occurance that is likely to be forgiven during the next audit if enough documentation is provided.

- Atticus

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 am

JamesP wrote:Any suggestions?? I could maybe just give them the check but if they call to verify funds they're going to get a no...

The simplest option is to have someone else in the ward cover the rent with a personal check and then reimburse that member next week. As an auditor, I would have no issue with this.

Another option is to have the bishop talk to the landlord, explain the situation, and guarantee a check at the start of next week. Given the circumstances, though, at this point a payment needs to be made not promises of payment next week. I'd go with the first option if I were you.

nutterb
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Berea, KY, USA

Postby nutterb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 am

JamesP wrote:Not so much. I just called to get an emergency, hand-written check authorized, and I was told in no uncertain terms by a very stern Church rep that the Church as ZERO system in place for handling emergency fast offering checks this week, and that they wouldn't be able to verify it.

So, I'm at a loss for what to do. We have a couple who just came in last night and is going to be evicted today if we don't get the rental company a check.

Any suggestions?? I could maybe just give them the check but if they call to verify funds they're going to get a no...


Perhaps talk to the stake president about the situation? If necessary he may be able to talk to the Area Presidency?

I seem to recall learning that when mom says no, it never hurts to go ask dad.

JamesP-p40
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am
Location: USA

Postby JamesP-p40 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:04 am

nutterb wrote:Perhaps talk to the stake president about the situation? If necessary he may be able to talk to the Area Presidency?

I seem to recall learning that when mom says no, it never hurts to go ask dad.

Just talked to the Bishop and he's decided to go ahead and give the hand-written check to the rental company with the assumption that the process for cashing the check and verifying funds won't be finalized before CUBS is up and running.

Honestly, it's pretty surprising that the Church had ZERO emergency plan in place for issuing checks this week.

User avatar
mlh78
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Postby mlh78 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 am

JamesP wrote:Just talked to the Bishop and he's decided to go ahead and give the hand-written check to the rental company with the assumption that the process for cashing the check and verifying funds won't be finalized before CUBS is up and running.



Seems a little risky to me. A rejected check is probably going to cause this member even more problems then he or she is already in. I think this would be an excellent time to let the fire of the covenant burn in the heart of a member who can float the funds for a few days.

User avatar
mlh78
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Postby mlh78 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 am

nutterb wrote:Perhaps talk to the stake president about the situation? If necessary he may be able to talk to the Area Presidency?

I seem to recall learning that when mom says no, it never hurts to go ask dad.


Seems like a lot of leadership time would be used up for what I consider a relatively minor problem with an easy temporary fix.

JamesP-p40
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am
Location: USA

Postby JamesP-p40 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am

mlh78 wrote:Seems a little risky to me. A rejected check is probably going to cause this member even more problems then he or she is already in. I think this would be an excellent time to let the fire of the covenant burn in the heart of a member who can float the funds for a few days.


I told him I'd be more than willing to do that, but he wants to go with Option 1.

Living in a Mormon community, I can't imagine a Bishop walking in with a church check and asking a rental company to wait until Monday to cash the check is really that big of a risk.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 8011
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 am

JamesP wrote:Just talked to the Bishop . . .


He holds the keys. And it appears to me that he made an excellent decision.

JamesP wrote:Honestly, it's pretty surprising that the Church had ZERO emergency plan in place for issuing checks this week.


The check can be issued. It just can't be verified by CHQ this week. So the recipient of the check will deposit it in a bank account, and the bank will try to clear the check.

When the Church receives the check for payment to the bank, it will verify the check, either by the normal process (which may or may not be in place again when the check arrives for payment), or by calling the bishop to make certain that the check is valid and should be paid.

And then the check will be paid.

There does not need to be an emergency plan. The current backup plan already in place will work just fine.

JamesP-p40
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am
Location: USA

Postby JamesP-p40 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am

lajackson wrote:There does not need to be an emergency plan. The current backup plan already in place will work just fine.

Thanks for the clarification.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:23 am

crislapi wrote:To test this, I just installed MLS 3.2.3 on my computer here and loaded the test ward. I was successfully able to get into the finance section. From what I can observe, the financial section is fully functional.

I also discovered one of my units did not create the reports so I just tried this approach. I first grabbed the 10/17 backup. Unfortunately, once it loaded, the financial section was locked out. I retried with a 10/13 backup they had. That worked. So for comparison, I'll have to use the printouts (expense report/batch report) for donations/expenses on the 17th to compare, but I have a printout of all other transactions.


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests