CUBS Message Section - Donors: Statements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rwoodmansee
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Carrollton, TX USA

CUBS Message Section - Donors: Statements

Postby rwoodmansee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:50 am

Alan_Brown wrote:There won't be multiple summaries for the same donor. That's the beauty of associating all donations with a membership record number -- there can only be one per member.



The Q&A at the end of the CUBS EDOC.pdf that I received indicates that members who have donated in more than unit during the year will receive a statement directly from Church headquarters.

Does this mean that the donors will receive a tax statement from Chruch headquarters for all donations made AND a statement from their current ward for donations made since they moved in?

It sounds like we don't have to manager tax statements for donations made by members that are no longer in the unit? (Previously there were mailed to the last known address.) If Chruch headquartes is sending out a statement for all donations made by donors that are no longer in my the unit, can I assume that we only have to worry about providing tax statements to those members that are in our unit as of Dec. 31?

So in reality, we have not eliminated multiple summaries for the same donor, just greatly reduced them. Any one that moved in the middle of the year will get a tax statement from thier current unit (for donations made since moving in) and a second one from Church headquarters.

User avatar
johnshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 1838
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby johnshaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:10 am

I'd like to know the answer to this one as well, maybe deserves a new thread.

Specifically for 2010 will my units need to distribute a tax statement in preparation for tithing settlement or will the church be sending that?

What about the official statement for 2010? Will that be sent by the church or will units need to do that still?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6140
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 am

RWoodmansee wrote:The Q&A at the end of the CUBS EDOC.pdf that I received indicates that members who have donated in more than unit during the year will receive a statement directly from Church headquarters.

Does this mean that . . .


I am sure we will be told when the year-end procedures are announced. All this assumes, of course, that we successfully transition to CUBS this coming week.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:06 pm

jshawut wrote:I'd like to know the answer to this one as well, maybe deserves a new thread.

Specifically for 2010 will my units need to distribute a tax statement in preparation for tithing settlement or will the church be sending that?

What about the official statement for 2010? Will that be sent by the church or will units need to do that still?


My thought is that CUBS takes effect on Oct 24, 2010 and onward. I'm inclined to think they will not try to convert all prior donor info over. I therefore don't see all these changes being of much effect this year. They will only have info from November and December. Therefore, any statements they send out will have very limited info. I may be reading this wrong, but that's how I am seeing it.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

jshawut wrote:Specifically for 2010 will my units need to distribute a tax statement in preparation for tithing settlement or will the church be sending that?


You will definitely still be distributing the YTD donation summaries to members of your ward in preparation for tithing settlement. CHQ has nothing to do with that process.

jshawut wrote:What about the official statement for 2010? Will that be sent by the church or will units need to do that still?


You will still be sending the Official Tax Statement at the end of the year to all donors. That statement will have the donations broken down by date, just as this statement has in the past. For most donors in most wards, that is the only Tax Statement that they will receive.

The only change is that in addition to that statement, members who donated in more than one ward during the year will also receive an additional statement from Church headquarters. My assumption is similar to crislapi's: that this statement will simply list totals for each unit, since I don't think the Church has the level of donation detail online needed for breaking down those donations from the various wards.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

crislapi wrote:My thought is that CUBS takes effect on Oct 24, 2010 and onward. I'm inclined to think they will not try to convert all prior donor info over.


Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a conversion. If you've got a membership number associated with a donor, then that's all that's needed to make the new system work. The name on the membership record becomes the name for the donor.

If you don't have a membership number connected, then it becomes a "out of unit" donor.

If you have a membership number connected, but that record is no longer in the ward, then it could handled the way CUBS is going to handle it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 pm

RWoodmansee wrote:The Q&A at the end of the CUBS EDOC.pdf that I received indicates that members who have donated in more than unit during the year will receive a statement directly from Church headquarters.

Does this mean that the donors will receive a tax statement from Chruch headquarters for all donations made AND a statement from their current ward for donations made since they moved in?

It sounds like we don't have to manager tax statements for donations made by members that are no longer in the unit? (Previously there were mailed to the last known address.) If Chruch headquartes is sending out a statement for all donations made by donors that are no longer in my the unit, can I assume that we only have to worry about providing tax statements to those members that are in our unit as of Dec. 31?

So in reality, we have not eliminated multiple summaries for the same donor, just greatly reduced them. Any one that moved in the middle of the year will get a tax statement from thier current unit (for donations made since moving in) and a second one from Church headquarters.

My one concern is that the statement specifically says they will send it out IF the member has donated in more than one unit during the year. Just because they are no longer in your unit does NOT mean they have donated in more than one unit.

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a conversion. If you've got a membership number associated with a donor, then that's all that's needed to make the new system work. The name on the membership record becomes the name for the donor.

If you don't have a membership number connected, then it becomes a "out of unit" donor.

If you have a membership number connected, but that record is no longer in the ward, then it could handled the way CUBS is going to handle it.

Good point. I guess the names of all merged donor records will revert to the full legal name of the membership record. Otherwise, there is nothing new. The only thing I'm not sure of is if CHQ has been collecting this info up to this point or not. I guess it's not too hard to grab from the system, though.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6140
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 am

crislapi wrote:I guess the names of all merged donor records will revert to the full legal name of the membership record. Otherwise, there is nothing new. The only thing I'm not sure of is if CHQ has been collecting this info up to this point or not. I guess it's not too hard to grab from the system, though.


If you look at your donor statement, it may have, for example, Brother and Sister Jackson as the donor(s). On the next line, it will have my full name (or hers -- some have requested that the donor statement be in the wife's name for tax purposes). The current statements are already prepared that way, with the full name from the membership that is tied to the account.

And, since CHQ take a monthly backup from the units, they already have that information, as well.

jwnice
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: US, Sandy, Oregon

Names

Postby jwnice » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 pm

When I printed some Donor Statements last Sunday, the only name on the statement was that of the first name that was on the orignal donation. If the first name listed was the husband, that is what appeared. If the first name was the wife, that is what appeared.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 pm

jwnice wrote:When I printed some Donor Statements last Sunday, the only name on the statement was that of the first name that was on the orignal donation. If the first name listed was the husband, that is what appeared. If the first name was the wife, that is what appeared.


That may well be the case, but what really printed was the name of the member whose membership record is linked to the donor record. Depending on your ward's previous conventions for naming donor records and linking to membership records, it's certainly possible that you could have the results you mentioned, but the membership record linkage is truly the key.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest