CUBS Message Section 3.5: "Donors"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

I've found the Donor Name List useful to distinguish between family members with similar names. We have several members in our area who belong to an extended family. Their legal (and church) name is nearly identical, but they go by nicknames.

I see this change having some negative impacts in ensuring donations are credited to the correct donor.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bro_West wrote:Their legal (and church) name is nearly identical, but they go by nicknames.
Looking back through the thread, it's not clear to me if CUBS will use the Name of Record or the Preferred Name. I'd hope it would use the Preferred Name.

Are you saying the members in your area have nearly identical preferred names?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Looking back through the thread, it's not clear to me if CUBS will use the Name of Record or the Preferred Name. I'd hope it would use the Preferred Name.
"The donor name will be the same as the FULL NAME on the membership record and cannot be changed."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:"The donor name will be the same as the FULL NAME on the membership record and cannot be changed."
Ouch. I'm just glad that LUWS shows the birth date when selecting members for callings. All too often the son has a legal name nearly identical to the father's.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you saying the members in your area have nearly identical preferred names?
In some cases, their names are identical. I can think of several father/sons that do not use a Jr/Sr. The father goes by his first name, while the son is known by his middle name.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Bro_West wrote:In some cases, their names are identical. I can think of several father/sons that do not use a Jr/Sr. The father goes by his first name, while the son is known by his middle name.
I have three such cases in my ward. In one of them, the father is not a member. If the donation entry insists on showing only the full name, it is going to cause many errors during donation entry.
gingus

Post by gingus »

We have this same problem. The husband and wife donate jointly, under Mr. and Mrs. doe. The husband was very upset that the donation does not show his wife's name on the tithing settlement and donation summary. Is the church seeing this and finding a way to correct.

This simple change as caused many upset members in our ward, especially for the wife. and rightfully so. She should be credited for the donations.

So, do we need to start having the members make their donations seperately rather than jointly?

I have changed the prefered name as we are doing tithing, but it seems that the following week, the prefered, with the wife's , name is gone and it has gone back to the husband's name.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

gholt wrote:Is the church seeing this and finding a way to correct.
This is not a bug. Whether you agree or disagree, this was intentional.
gholt wrote:So, do we need to start having the members make their donations seperately rather than jointly?
If it's an issue to them, yes.
gholt wrote:I have changed the prefered name as we are doing tithing, but it seems that the following week, the prefered, with the wife's , name is gone and it has gone back to the husband's name.
Again, that is expected behavior. See this post. If anything will change, it appears it will be the ability to edit donor names will be removed soon.
gingus

Post by gingus »

OK. I will talk to them.

There's gonna be some fireworks. hopefully, they don't hate me for delivering the bad news.
gingus

Post by gingus »

I was over at the church and I got a message from SL saying that you can go into the view update donors. There is a option that you can show the donor's spouse on the year end donation summaries.

When I printed of these reports, it showed the main donor and then it showed their spouse on the line below it.

I think this will resolve the issue we are having in our ward. I thought I would pass this along.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”