MLS finance transition to CUBS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I haven't seen the memo, but being the geek I am, the first question is "which time zone"? For the folks in Hawaii, that could be 8PM on Sunday. I'm not sure if Guam is on this system or not, but if they are, they could be looking at 4PM on Monday.
For any message that does not specify a time zone, I think it's safe to assume that it is the time zone of the location from which the message originates. That would be Mountain Time (although it would have been nice if that had been stated explicitly). Given that assumption, Hawaii would have to wrap things up well before the end of their Sunday.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

RussellHltn wrote:I haven't seen the memo, but being the geek I am, the first question is "which time zone"? For the folks in Hawaii, that could be 8PM on Sunday. I'm not sure if Guam is on this system or not, but if they are, they could be looking at 4PM on Monday.
It should be midnight Monday morning for any time zone. MLS should have received a flag to lock out the finance section according to the system date and time I believe.

That is the best that I understand it. I hope that helps.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

More light is always helpful. Glad to see you posting again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

RussellHltn wrote:More light is always helpful. Glad to see you posting again.
Sorry, I can't give more information on the CUBS stuff, but I am trying to keep the forum updated as I learn them. If questions arise, I will try and find out the answers.

Thanks.
daniel.lovell

Post by daniel.lovell »

Can someone tell me if my understanding of the transition is correct?

After all financial transactions are done on Sunday, Aug. 15th each unit needs to do a send/receive.
HQ will convert the financial data from this last send receive into the new format that will be available to download on Sunday, Aug. 22nd.
Any financial transactions entered in MLS from the last send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 15th to the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd will be deleted during the the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd. It will need to be reentered in MLS after the update on Sunday, Aug. 22nd.
After the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd the new system should be active and normal financial functionality will resume.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

daniel.lovell wrote:After the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd the new system should be active and normal financial functionality will resume.
That's a good summary. I'd just note that "normal" will be different under CUBS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

daniel.lovell wrote:Can someone tell me if my understanding of the transition is correct?

After all financial transactions are done on Sunday, Aug. 15th each unit needs to do a send/receive.
HQ will convert the financial data from this last send receive into the new format that will be available to download on Sunday, Aug. 22nd.
Any financial transactions entered in MLS from the last send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 15th to the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd will be deleted during the the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd. It will need to be reentered in MLS after the update on Sunday, Aug. 22nd.
After the first send/receive on Sunday, Aug. 22nd the new system should be active and normal financial functionality will resume.
This is correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:That same content is on the wiki under MLS finance transition.
I notice the page hasn't been updated to reflect the roll-out in the US.

Any idea how this new method will handle the year-end roll-over? My first take on this is that we're changing from a "budget allotment/'magic' account" (that always returns to a zero balance) to be more like a "normal" bank account with income, expense and balance.

I'm sure it will be easier for new clerks, but it seems like a significant "mind shift" for those of us who "got" the old system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I notice the page hasn't been updated to reflect the roll-out in the US.
The updating of that page (and its redirects) is being done by Church employees. It seems to have been done after the transitions in the three areas where CUBS has been implemented, not in anticipation of the transition. So if that pattern is maintained, I wouldn't expect the page to have been updated yet.
RussellHltn wrote:Any idea how this new method will handle the year-end roll-over?
The only documentation I've seen is what's on that wiki page. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the Budget category will cease to have any special year-end treatment; it will work just like Ward Missionary and Other.
RussellHltn wrote:My first take on this is that we're changing from a "budget allotment/'magic' account" (that always returns to a zero balance) to be more like a "normal" bank account with income, expense and balance.

Yes, that's the biggest part of the change. Budget allocation funds will actually be transferred into each unit's account each quarter.

The other big change is that automatic debits (such as for monthly missionary expenses and Distribution Services charges) will be downloaded to MLS. No data entry is required for these, although such Budget expenses will have to be assigned to the correct subcategory.
RussellHltn wrote:I'm sure it will be easier for new clerks, but it seems like a significant "mind shift" for those of us who "got" the old system.
Yes, it's a significant change, but for the most part, it just makes the Budget category work like the Ward Missionary and Other, and so it's a matter of forgetting the odd handling of that category in the past -- there's not much you need to learn. At least that's true at the ward level; the stake will have some new learning in the system of sub-allocating the budget allowance to the wards and branches.
murraydavidgeorge2

Post by murraydavidgeorge2 »

Should we reconcile our July statement before the 15th?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”