CUBS Concerns

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RussellHltn wrote:It will be interesting to see how that works. I assume you are talking about donations (tithing, etc).
Yes, I'm referring to donations. I'm sure they will have some protocol of how to adjust if there are multiple checks, and if they get it wrong, it'd be up to the member to review the notice they receive and correct it with the ward clerk, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of the time they'll get it right.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of the time they'll get it right.
It's been too long since I've handled the finance side of things. So maybe I'm worried about nothing. Yes, the first challenge is to correctly identify the donation.

The second is to leave something in the records that would allow a clerk to know what has happened when they are asked questions. If CHQ does it, then there will be nothing in the paperwork that was filed with that donation batch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The second is to leave something in the records that would allow a clerk to know what has happened when they are asked questions. If CHQ does it, then there will be nothing in the paperwork that was filed with that donation batch.
Even in the current process, the clerk has to print out a corrected batch report and file it with the donation batch. That's not automatic.

Under the new process, the clerk will receive some sort of notification of the correction (on the finance statement at the very least). If it's desirable to file the adjustment with the donation batch (and I would think that it should be standard operating procedure), then the clerk can react to that notification by printing and filing an updated batch report.

Yes, it's a bit different, but it should not be difficult for clerks to adjust to the new procedure.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Notices about NSF checks will now be sent directly to the donor. It would be up to the donor to bring this with them when they talk to the clerk.

This presents a huge challenge. The address in the donor record is going to have to be up-to-date. If your ward is very stable, it's probably not a problem, but if a member moves but stays w/in the ward boundaries, the address associated with the donor record does not update when the membership record address is updated. Clerks are going to have to keep up on that or the notice will be sent to the wrong address.

I'm not sure if they are able to view specific donation info in the new system but I'd assume so. Otherwise, there is not way they could possibly do this.

I imagine if CHQ makes changes to a donation batch, the unit will be notified with a message and hopefully will be prompted to reprint the updated batch report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:The address in the donor record is going to have to be up-to-date. If your ward is very stable, it's probably not a problem, but if a member moves but stays w/in the ward boundaries, the address associated with the donor record does not update when the membership record address is updated.
One of the changes that is coming with CUBS is the elimination of donor records for members -- the name and address of member donors will come straight from the membership record, eliminating the possibility of the donor record address not matching the membership record address.

There will still be separate donor records for miscellaneous and "other unit" donors, of course.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:One of the changes that is coming with CUBS is the elimination of donor records for members -- the name and address of member donors will come straight from the membership record, eliminating the possibility of the donor record address not matching the membership record address.

There will still be separate donor records for miscellaneous and "other unit" donors, of course.
Ah, now that section makes more sense. Of course, being a student stake, it's not uncommon for our members to donate before their membership records arrive. I imagine that means most will have to have separate donor records created to handle those first donations and will therefore require clerks to be on top of linking the donor records to membership records. No worse than how it currently is.
stanstrad

Post by stanstrad »

crislapi wrote:As long as every ward you donated in 1) had you membership record while you were there 2) successfully linked your donor record to your membership record, then you shouldn't have to go chase down your statements from each ward individually any more!

This sounds great. That combined with CHQ creating sub-accounts for FT missionaries, maybe now (or soon) we would be able to donate in our home ward to a missionary in another ward and it would be able to credit the responsible wards missionary account?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sls wrote:
crislapi wrote:As long as every ward you donated in 1) had you membership record while you were there 2) successfully linked your donor record to your membership record, then you shouldn't have to go chase down your statements from each ward individually any more!

This sounds great. That combined with CHQ creating sub-accounts for FT missionaries, maybe now (or soon) we would be able to donate in our home ward to a missionary in another ward and it would be able to credit the responsible wards missionary account?
As far as we have been told, these new donor statements for multiple units are only available for people who have actually been members of multiple wards during the year. So I don't see how donations you make to another ward that you are not a member of would show up on such a statement. I'm sure the reporting mechanism depends on linking donations to your membership record number, and that other ward would not have your MRN (and would have no way to enter it into the finance side of their MLS even if they did have it).

Perhaps that capability will appear in the future, but it's not available under this first iteration of CUBS.
stanstrad

Post by stanstrad »

Alan_Brown wrote:As far as we have been told, these new donor statements for multiple units are only available for people who have actually been members of multiple wards during the year. So I don't see how donations you make to another ward that you are not a member of would show up on such a statement. I'm sure the reporting mechanism depends on linking donations to your membership record number, and that other ward would not have your MRN (and would have no way to enter it into the finance side of their MLS even if they did have it).

Perhaps that capability will appear in the future, but it's not available under this first iteration of CUBS.
Was thinking that the donors home ward would have the MRN, and because CHQ was creating/maintaining missionary accounts, then account names would all be unique thus hoping that its not to much of a stretch to think that if you new the missionary's account name it could pass though from the donors home ward to the missionaries ward without really even needing to track who/where it came from (That being done at the donors ward. But maybe in the future:)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”