Other Category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sgtbrown26-p40
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am
Location: US, Hope Mills, NC

Other Category

Postby sgtbrown26-p40 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 am

I was recently called as a new ward clerk. The first time that I did reconciliation I found that we had a temporary item to cover a difference between MLS and the CUFS. The CUFS listed our other category having $19 more than we report in MLS. I tracked this back to September of 2008, the last time the $19 difference was reported on CUFS. I believe that the problem lies between August and September of 2008.

What do I need to do next to identify and correct the problem? How do I change MLS to report the same amount in the other category that CUFS is stating? I went over both CUFS for August and September and I can't find how the problem began. Suggestions?? I have already asked previous clerks and they don't know. They have just left the temporary item on each reconciliation since 2008. I don't want to do that, I want it fixed.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20732
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 am

I'd look for a returned donation check. You can read the wiki on how it's handled.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

sgtbrown26-p40
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am
Location: US, Hope Mills, NC

Postby sgtbrown26-p40 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 am

I look over the donation batch for each of the months and found no returned checks. I also looked over expenses for voided checks or uncleared checks. I have not found any check or amount recorded for the amount I can't account for.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am

sgtbrown26 wrote:I was recently called as a new ward clerk. The first time that I did reconciliation I found that we had a temporary item to cover a difference between MLS and the CUFS. The CUFS listed our other category having $19 more than we report in MLS. I tracked this back to September of 2008, the last time the $19 difference was reported on CUFS. I believe that the problem lies between August and September of 2008.

What do I need to do next to identify and correct the problem? How do I change MLS to report the same amount in the other category that CUFS is stating? I went over both CUFS for August and September and I can't find how the problem began. Suggestions?? I have already asked previous clerks and they don't know. They have just left the temporary item on each reconciliation since 2008. I don't want to do that, I want it fixed.


First of all, it's wise of you to truly fix this. If a temporary item is carried forward for more than a month or two, it's probably an indication that an issue is being ignored.

It sounds like you've done the first important step, and that is to identify when the problem appeared. I assume when you say September 2008 was "the last time the $19 difference was reported on CUFS" you actually mean that the difference was reported on the reconciliation (not the CUFS).

So if the temporary item first became necessary to reconcile September 2008, that most likely means that the September 2008 CUFS contained some sort of item that does not match MLS, or that in September 2008 some MLS item was created that does not match the CUFS. By cross checking all the transactions in MLS and the CUFS for that month you should be able to identify the item.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

sgtbrown26-p40
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am
Location: US, Hope Mills, NC

Postby sgtbrown26-p40 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

Your correct. The difference was listed on the reconcilation for the first time in September of 2008. I went over the CUFS for September and compared it with MLS line by line and found no difference. I checked the balances, and the deposits, expenses, and transactions tabs. I will check it again today because there is always the possiblity that I missed something. I lost sleep over it and want it fixed. I checked with the stake clerk and he could not figure it out, but he was on a tight schedule and had little time to really dig deep into it. What should I do next?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:19 am

sgtbrown26 wrote:Your correct. The difference was listed on the reconciliation for the first time in September of 2008. I went over the CUFS for September and compared it with MLS line by line and found no difference. I checked the balances, and the deposits, expenses, and transactions tabs. I will check it again today because there is always the possibility that I missed something. I lost sleep over it and want it fixed. I checked with the stake clerk and he could not figure it out, but he was on a tight schedule and had little time to really dig deep into it. What should I do next?


It's also possible for some transaction before September to be affecting the reconciliation. Unfortunately, that can be difficult to track down.

However, when I read between the lines, it seems like you're saying that September 2008 still reconciles (with the $19 temporary item). If so, then you are pretty lucky. That would mean that you could reconcile August 2008 and see how that looks. If it won't balance without the addition of a $19 temporary item, then that means you need to look further back in time. You can just keep moving back a month until you balance without a temporary item.

Note that some things you (or another clerk) might have done later would be dated in those earlier months, which might also be affecting your balance.

Once you have tried everything you know how (including working with your stake clerk and/or stake financial clerk), another possible resource is to call Local Unit Support and see if you can get help from a Reconciliation Specialist. They are experts at this kind of thing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20732
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:19 am

sgtbrown26 wrote:The difference was listed on the reconcilation for the first time in September of 2008.


Hmmm. I wonder if the problem occurred before that, but September was just the first time it was recorded as part of the reconciliation. I'd check the balance as well as the individual transactions.

It's also possible that someone might have done a correction on a prior MLS entry. That would render prior reconciliations inaccurate.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

sgtbrown26-p40
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am
Location: US, Hope Mills, NC

Postby sgtbrown26-p40 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 am

One last question. Why do I have several hundred dollars listed in the other category that is being carried over month to month. I am not aware of any other items like scout camp or girls camp, nor any other type of approved activity that has collected money to place in the other category. Shouldn't the other category be zero unless we are using it for an approved activity and putting money in that category? The other category has had money in it for the past two years that has grown and never been completely used. We are not supporting scout camp this year because of lack of funds, but our other category stats otherwise :confused:.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 am

sgtbrown26 wrote:One last question. Why do I have several hundred dollars listed in the other category that is being carried over month to month. I am not aware of any other items like scout camp or girls camp, nor any other type of approved activity that has collected money to place in the other category. Shouldn't the other category be zero unless we are using it for an approved activity and putting money in that category? The other category has had money in it for the past two years that has grown and never been completely used. We are not supporting scout camp this year because of lack of funds, but our other category stats otherwise :confused:.


There should never be anything in the parent "Other" category. Since all uses of the Other category should be for a specific purpose, all expenses and deposits in the Other category should be designated in a particular subcategory of Other.

If you are using the subcategories properly, then it should be easy to see exactly what came in and out and your current balance for Scout Camp, YW Camp, or any other approved use of the Other category, because those transactions will be in a subcategory such as "Other:Scout Camp".

If you have any transactions in the parent "Other" category, then you should examine those closely to see what subcategory they really should have been in (and correct the category appropriately). If you have unidentified surplus funds in the parent category, then you should handle those as described in the wiki under How to deal with surpluses.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Freedom55
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: BC, Canada

Postby Freedom55 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Man what a lot of work to have to go back that far. As Russellhltn mentioned, you might have to go back prior to Sep 2008. If an error was made to an adjustment (that was made in Sep 2008) to a prior closed batch, the Sep reconciliation wouldn't balance or show the error. I would go back further looking for a retroactive adjustment.

Good for you for being so diligent. Good luck!


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest