Missionary Payments for a splitting Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:...the bishop of the 2nd Ward needs to call the Finance Department...
The bishop doesn't have to make the call; he can ask one of his clerks to do it. Bishops are busy enough -- they shouldn't have to deal with the busywork of making a call, unless they really want to. All the bishop has to do is approve the change (in conjunction with the bishop of the other ward). A clerk can make the call.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:The bishop doesn't have to make the call; he can ask one of his clerks to do it. Bishops are busy enough --
Quite correct. My old age is showing again. Things have changed since the time when the new paying bishop had to personally convince CHQ that he was willing to make the switch.

But, as Alan says, if the clerk calls, he needs to be prepared to state that the new bishop has approved the change.
greggo

Post by greggo »

RussellHltn wrote:Since there's only a few months left, one option is to have the family continue to send the payments to the old ward. If the old ward will be in the same building as the new one, especially with overlapping hours, that could be a viable option.
If it were me, I would make sure the missionary deductions transferred to the new ward with the move (unless the family wanted to "pre-pay" for the remainder of the mission). This way, if the family had an unexpected financial need - their appropriate new ward would cover the future expenses. But of course, in this situation, everything could be done retroactively.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”