Donations for Haiti relief...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how "Humanitarian Aid" is handled in Canada. You might look over the tax statements of members who did donate in 2009 and see if it was counted. The other alternative is to call local unit support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Probably those living outside the US know this, but just for information to those in the US...

The church is not always recognized as a charitable organization for tax exempt donations outside the US. This, of course, applies for tithing or other donations such as humanitarian aid. It may even make a difference on US taxes if the donation is processed by the church outside the US.

When I lived in a foreign country, the English unit accepted both US dollar and local currency donations. The US dollar donations were processed by CHQ in the US and were of course tax deductible; however, the local currency donations were processed by the local administration office. Since the local church organization was considered separate from the US organization, and not recognized by the IRS as a charitable organization, the local currency donations could not legally be tax deductible.
pzells

How do I transfer money from other to Humanitarian aid?

Post by pzells »

I have a 'Other' subcategory called 'Humanitarian Aid' that was created before my time, and and I want to put this money in the JHumanitarian Aid category where it belongs. I cannot transfer the money out because this option is not given in the transfer window.

What is the best option?
Do I just write a check CHQ for the subcategory amount?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pze wrote:I have a 'Other' subcategory called 'Humanitarian Aid' that was created before my time, and and I want to put this money in the Humanitarian Aid category where it belongs. I cannot transfer the money out because this option is not given in the transfer window.

What is the best option?
Do I just write a check CHQ for the subcategory amount?
A simpler way is to write a check to the ward from that Other subcategory, and deposit it as part of a normal donation batch in the normal Humanitarian Aid category (the one that appears on the donation slip, not your similarly named Other subcategory).
atticusewig

Tax implications - should change donations

Post by atticusewig »

The easiest way may be to do the check-to-self routine
out of the other category, but it is not what should be done.

One needs to get the details of the donations made using
the detailed income/expense report, and then go back into the
correct donation batches and change each of the slips that
donated to Other:Humanitarian Aid.

The reason is because "Other"-category donations are not
Tax-Deductible, whereas "Humanitarian Aid" donations are.

You'll also want to print out new Tax-valid Statements for the
donors affected.

Finally, to prevent donations to Other: Humanitarian Aid in the
future, you should Add/Update the Budget Categories, and clear
the "Active" checkbox for Other:Humanitarian Aid. This will keep
it from showing up when entering donations.

- Atticus
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

atticusewig wrote:"Other"-category donations are not Tax-Deductible, whereas "Humanitarian Aid" donations are.
Whether donations are tax deductible or not is not soley determined by the category donations are placed. The Church provides an end of year tax valid statement that does not include donations to the "Other" category because most subcategories of the “Other” category are not considered charitable contributions. This does not mean that all donations to an "Other" category subcategory are not charitable contributions. It is between the individual and the taxing authority to make that determination. The end-of-year tax valid statement provides the necessary documentation considered acceptable by taxing authorities that donations meet the necessary requirements. A donatoin not on the end-of-year tax valid statement does not mean a donation is not a charitable donation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

Of course the taxing authority can determine what is
deductible or not. But, the point is that Donations to
Other subcategories DO NOT APPEAR on the tax valid statement.

If anything, the tax-valid statement should be segmented to
include both types of donations, and let the TaxMan determine
what is deductible or not.

Regardless, proper bookkeeping is to match donations to the
proper donation categories. If Other:Humanitarian Aid isn't something
that should have gone towards Humanitarian Aid in the first
place, I would greatly surprised.

- Atticus

Return to “Local Unit Finance”