Priesthood Leader Travel Reimbursement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:Reimbursement of the cost may be discouraged, but I've never heard of the travel itself being discouraged.:rolleyes:
Well, you may not have heard of it, but the the official form counsels us:
When possible, limit travel in order to (1) conserve Church resources, (2) conserve the amount of time required of stake and ward leaders, and (3) avoid unnecessary exposure to accidents. Where available and where circumstances allow, use methods other than travel to conduct Church business (for example, telephone calls, videotaped presentations, and fewer meetings).
And then the exact quote in question is.
5. Travel by auxiliary leaders is discouraged but, if approved, may be reimbursed from the stake’s budget allowance. Do not use this form.
Draw your own conclusions.
greggo

Post by greggo »

I, of course, was halfway joking, when I stated that I hadn't heard of travel itself being discouraged.

We live in a medium to large (by area) stake, and it takes probably 45 minutes to get to the stake center and nearly 1.5 hours to get to the ward building at the far end of the stake.

When my wife had a stake calling, she regularly (probably averaging 2/week) was obligated to travel excessively to meetings. It seemed like at least the same amount of time was spent in traveling as the meetings themselves - and she wasn't the one traveling the farthest.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:I, of course, was halfway joking, when I stated that I hadn't heard of travel itself being discouraged.
I understand that -- I hope I didn't imply that I thought you were completely serious. Although I live in a place now where it isn't an issue, I have lived outside of Utah, and I know that travel can become a significant time and financial burden for leaders and other members. That's why I tried to emphasize the part of the policy which not everyone uses all their efforts and creativity to follow:
Where available and where circumstances allow, use methods other than travel to conduct Church business (for example, telephone calls, videotaped presentations, and fewer meetings).
Of course that's not always possible, but I suspect in many cases that travel could be avoided or greatly reduced.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

I know what you mean about large stake. I am clerk in a branch with Sunday attendance 25 - 45. The branch covers more than 1000 square miles. It take near an hour to get from on end to the other, and over 90 minutes to get to the stake center (about 80 miles). Even home/visiting teaching can be a day trip.
ddthor

Re: Priesthood Leader Travel Reimbursement

Post by ddthor »

What is the current rate for Michigan, USA at which mileage is being reimbursed for Stake President travel?
Is it the same as the rate they can write off on taxes if it is not reimbursed? .14 cents?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ddthor wrote:What is the current rate for Michigan, USA at which mileage is being reimbursed for Stake President travel?
Is it the same as the rate they can write off on taxes if it is not reimbursed? .14 cents?
I've never heard of reimbursing ward leaders for travel, but it makes sense if there is a long commute. I don't think there is any policy for how much a person can or should be reimbursed – it would be up to the presiding officer, I think.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Best I can come up with is Handbook 2: 13.6.24. It's more about church activities, but could apply to leaders traveling to meetings. No rate is given. It appears to be a SP decision.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ddthor wrote:What is the current rate for Michigan, USA at which mileage is being reimbursed for Stake President travel?
Your FM secretary can let you know what your local rate is. The rate is adjusted from year to year and may vary from area to area.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
soumyaahuja

Post by soumyaahuja »

Rates are change via time and area so first confirm rate and then travel.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”