Missionary Housing by Members

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Missionary Housing by Members

Post by lajackson »

A member housing full-time missionaries has asked for assistance from the bishop. Isn't there an amount already designated by the Church for this?

Who pays it? Ward? Stake? Mission?

How much should it be? Is it reimbursed by the Church or does it come out of budget?

With the answers, are there any official references, letters, or sources for the information?

And, of course, thanks in advance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:A member housing full-time missionaries has asked for assistance from the bishop. Isn't there an amount already designated by the Church for this?

Who pays it? Ward? Stake? Mission?

How much should it be? Is it reimbursed by the Church or does it come out of budget?

With the answers, are there any official references, letters, or sources for the information?

And, of course, thanks in advance.
Yes, there is an amount designated for missionary host families. It is $75/month in the US.

The stake pays it, using a special subcategory of Other called "Other:Missionary Host Family"; the payment is automatically reimbursed by CHQ.

The Donation and Receipting Categories article on clerk.lds.org explains some of this, and contains a reference to the letter of instruction (which I don't have with me, but we have a copy in our stake office):
Stakes have additional subcategories in the "Other" category as follows:
MISSIONARY – HOST FAMILY – Used to reimburse members who provide housing to full-time missionaries as instructed in the 31 May 2007 instructions to stake and mission presidents titled: Housing Missionaries with Members.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:The stake pays it, using a special subcategory of Other called "Other:Missionary Host Family"; the payment is automatically reimbursed by CHQ.

Thanks. And, with the date, I will be able to get the letter this week from the stake offices.
vaiola

Missionary Housing

Post by vaiola »

Where can I find the guidelines for missionary/member housing?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

A letter was sent out to Stake and Mission Presidents on May 31, 2007, providing the principles and guidelines associated with missionary/member housing. It should be available in the Official Communication Library.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

Wow, years ago when I was a missionary we often rented basement rooms from members. My companion and I each paid $200 a month (total $400).

I hope I'm not dating myself too much but we were able to negotiate our rent, etc. Today with all missionaries paying the same it would have cost me a lot more than it did. When I was in a car area each of us also had to pay $25 per month to the mission office home for car use. Things have changed a lot.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”