Transferring misplaced funds from Other to Tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
raklet-p40

Transferring misplaced funds from Other to Tithing

Post by raklet-p40 »

I had a tithes and offerings slip come in a couple of months back. There was an amount written in the "Tithing" area. There was also an amount written in "Other".

I entered the donations accordingly - one amount in "Tithing" the other amount in "Other".

Now another slip from the same individual has come in - one amount in "Tithing" another amount in "Other" but this time in small print the "Other" amount was specified as tithing for a second member in the family. I called the family and they confirmed that all their slips are like that.

So, the slip from a couple months back that I placed the amount in "Other" should actually be a tithing donation for a second family member. MLS will not let me transfer from Other to Tithing.

How can I fix this problem so that the money is placed in Tithing where it belongs?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The proper way to fix this is not by a transfer, rather by going back and adjusting the original donation in MLS. Since the "other" part of the donation was intended to be from another family member, it really needs to be made under that family member's name. This is done in MLS by deleting the "other" part off of the first donation and saving it, then creating a new slip in that same batch under the name of the other family member showing the correct tithing amount.

That's the procedure, however, if the donation was made with a single check, it will be difficult to break that up into 2 amounts (one for each family member), without showing two different checks in MLS. If that's the case, I don't have an easy answer.

BTW, generally donations to "Other" are for a specific purpose. I'm curious, how did the recording clerk know which "Other" sub-category to use to record the donation?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:however, if the donation was made with a single check, it will be difficult to break that up into 2 amounts (one for each family member), without showing two different checks in MLS. If that's the case, I don't have an easy answer.
In the case of two slips for one check, you simply enter the first person's tithing donation on the left hand side of the donation screen, then press the New Slip button at the bottom of the left hand side. Then you can enter the second person's tithing donation. Then you move to the right side and enter the single check. The New Slip button is precisely for this situation.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:In the case of two slips for one check, you simply enter the first person's tithing donation on the left hand side of the donation screen, then press the New Slip button at the bottom of the left hand side. Then you can enter the second person's tithing donation. Then you move to the right side and enter the single check. The New Slip button is precisely for this situation.
Thanks, Alan. Yeah, I now remember reading about that, but I've never had an occasion to use it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Each member, with the exeption of husband and wife making a combined donation, should provide a separate "Tithes and Other Offerings" slip for their individual donation even when a single check is written for a group of people. The MLS procedure Alan described covers this situation.

A technique I use to help make sure the amount on the check is the total for all donation slip amounts is to enter the first donation slip information followed by the check number and amount before clicking the "New Slip" button. MLS then shows the difference between the check amount and any donation slip(s) amount(s). When all slips are entered there should be no difference amount.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”