Reconcile training update needed

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
clau-p40

Reconcile training update needed

Post by clau-p40 »

The Adobe Training Session for Finance Reconcile shows that CHURCH UNIT FINANCIAL STATEMENT comes with only VI total sessions, however the "real" statements are presenting 8 sessions in total (...VII, VIII), throwing a certain grade of confusion into a not too easy procedure to be learned by a "green" ward clerk.
Is this just an ad hoc situation caused by an extemporaneous occurrence at my ward or it is due the expectancy of a new/actualized training version on the horizon?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

clau wrote:The Adobe Training Session for Finance Reconcile shows that CHURCH UNIT FINANCIAL STATEMENT comes with only VI total sessions, however the "real" statements are presenting 8 sessions in total (...VII, VIII), throwing a certain grade of confusion into a not too easy procedure to be learned by a "green" ward clerk.
Is this just an ad hoc situation caused by an extemporaneous occurrence at my ward or it is due the expectancy of a new/actualized training version on the horizon?
The on-line training titled "Reconciling the Church Unit Financial Statement (U.S. and Canada only)" describes the sections of the Church Unit Financial Statement (CUFS) necessary to complete a reconciliation. That on-line trainig lession depicts seven sections (I throught VII) of the CUFS. I assume that when you mentioned sessions you are referring to the sections of the CUFS. The current CUFS does in fact have those seven sections. I have not seen a CUFS with eight (VIII) sections.

These are the sections described in the online training:
Section (I) Deposits
Section (II) Checks Cleared
Section (III) Miscellaneous Disbursements and Credits
Section (IV) Ending Balance
Section (V) Outstanding Checks
Section (VI) Net Funds Available
Section (VII) Year to Date Summary

Perhaps you could describe in a little more detail the differences you are finding between the CUFS described in the on-line training and the acual CUFS you have in your unit.

There are some new CUFS proposals that have been discussed in the the New Local Unit Financial Statement thread and the Local Unit Financial Statement Part two thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clau wrote:The Adobe Training Session for Finance Reconcile shows that CHURCH UNIT FINANCIAL STATEMENT comes with only VI total sessions, however the "real" statements are presenting 8 sessions in total (...VII, VIII), throwing a certain grade of confusion into a not too easy procedure to be learned by a "green" ward clerk.
I have reviewed the lesson Reconciling the Church Unit Financial Statement and I'm having a hard time seeing any problem. Could you provide more details as to what you think is wrong?

The way I see it, the training lesson only mentions the first 5 sections:
  1. Deposits
  2. Checks Cleared
  3. Miscellaneous Disbursements and Credits
  4. Ending Balance
  5. Outstanding Checks
There are indeed two additional sections in the Summary Statement and three additional sections in the Detail Statement (see the wiki article Church Unit Financial Statement for details). They are not mentioned in the training lesson, but they are not needed for the reconciliation process, so there is no need to mention them. The training lesson only shows portions of a CUFS, so it makes no implication that it shows every single section.

I think if you focus on just what is needed for the reconciliation process, the training lesson makes sense. Don't worry about additional CUFS sections. You may also find the wiki article Reconciliation helpful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:That on-line trainig lession depicts seven sections (I throught VII) of the CUFS. I assume that when you mentioned sessions you are referring to the sections of the CUFS. The current CUFS does in fact have those seven sections. I have not seen a CUFS with eight (VIII) sections.
You posted while I was still composing my reply. But I am a bit confused by a couple of things in your reply.

Could you point to the slide that mentions sections 6 or 7? I only ever see sections 1-5 mentioned in the training.

Also, if you look at the Detail Statement portion of the CUFS (not just the Summary Statement, which comes first), you will see the 8th section. The Voided Checks section is the one you didn't mention. See the Church Unit Financial Statement wiki article.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:Could you point to the slide that mentions sections 6 or 7? I only ever see sections 1-5 mentioned in the training.
Section VI is not mentioned but only visible as other sections are covered. I don't know the slide but they do mention the last section, section VII. It is only to say that it is a summary.

Edit: It is slide 8 that the section VI is visible (not mentioned) and section VII is mentioned.
Alan_Brown wrote:Also, if you look at the Detail Statement portion of the CUFS (not just the Summary Statement, which comes first), you will see the 8th section. The Voided Checks section is the one you didn't mention. See the Church Unit Financial Statement wiki article.
I did not look at the wiki article but was going from memory and the visible sections as you go through the lesson.

Edit: You will note that on slide 8 that after section VII you see what appears to be the end of the CUFS when the words "End of Statement" appear.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It appears if there are no voided checks for the month the CUFS section VIII, Year to Date Summary, will be come section VII and there will be no Voided Checks section or section VIII. Or at least that is how I explain the difference between what is displayed at the on-line training and the wiki description of the CUFS. I would have to check an actual CUFS for both situations (one where the are voided checks and one where there are no voided checks) to know for sure.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote: Edit: It is slide 8 that the section VI is visible (not mentioned) and section VII is mentioned.
Thanks for the details. Section VII is not mentioned in the text of the article by number, and doesn't appear in the image until the very end of the slide, so that's why I missed it in my quick scan of the lesson.
jdlessley wrote:It appears if there are no voided checks for the month the CUFS section VIII, Year to Date Summary, will be come section VII and there will be no Voided Checks section or section VIII. Or at least that is how I explain the difference between what is displayed at the on-line training and the wiki description of the CUFS. I would have to check an actual CUFS for both situations (one where the are voided checks and one where there are no voided checks) to know for sure.
Section VII (Voided Checks) is always visible in both the Summary and Detail Statements of the CUFS. It simply says "None Reported" if there are none. I have a CUFS in my possession from 2007 that includes just such a Section VII.

So it does appear that section VII got added since the training lesson images were created (although the training lesson itself was updated in 2008, and the Voided Checks section VII was already appearing in the CUFS in 2007 and perhaps before).

It's a pretty minor difference; I can't imagine the Church would bother to update the lesson just because of that -- especially when the new section is not part of the actual reconciliation process. But it would be good for them to know about so that when they find some other motivation to update the lesson, they fix that as well.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”