Resolve Budget Sub-Category Balance Forward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mrusselld-p40

Resolve Budget Sub-Category Balance Forward

Post by mrusselld-p40 »

After the Financial Audit, everything came out fine, but there are other issues that seem to keep getting ignored. When pulling an Income and Expense report for Sub-Category items, there are balance forward amounts, both positive and negative in the various categories:

Budget: Missionary -200
Ward Missionary: Missionary 1 +425
Ward Missionary: Missionary 2 -600
Ward Missionary: Missionary 3 -300

I was going to just transfer amounts to zero out these categories, but when I go to transfer the amounts, these categories are not populated in the list. It is like they don't even exist anymore, but they do according to the income and expense report.

The above categories do not look like they have been used for a few years, so I don't know what to do to resolve these amounts.

Please advise.

thx, bro. Mark Davis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrusselld wrote:Budget: Missionary -200
Ward Missionary: Missionary 1 +425
Ward Missionary: Missionary 2 -600
Ward Missionary: Missionary 3 -300

I was going to just transfer amounts to zero out these categories, but when I go to transfer the amounts, these categories are not populated in the list. It is like they don't even exist anymore, but they do according to the income and expense report.
There could be a couple of things going on here.

First, I would check to make sure that the categories are not inactive. If the categories are inactive, they will not show up on any selection lists, but if they have nonzero balances or activity, they will show up on Income/Expense reports.

To check if the categories are active, in MLS go to Finances > Add/Update Categories. If the categories are not active, make them active so you can work with them. Then once you get the balances to 0, you can deactivate them again.

Once you've made sure the categories are active, transfers within the Ward Missionary category are probably the best way to zero out those subcategories. Just transfer the appropriate amount from Ward Missionary to the subcategory if the subcategory has a negative balance, or vice versa if it is positive.

The category you called "Budget: Missionary" is a bit of a mystery to me. Is it really a subcategory of Budget? If so, it should not carry forward a balance from year to year, and yet you said it had a balance.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about the top level category called simply "Missionary" then see this post for instructions on clearing out that balance.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

In addition to what Alan mentioned, if your Ward Missionary balance remains negative after zeroing out the old sub-categories, speak with your stake finance clerk. He might have some excess missionary funds available to bring it back to zero, or even to a positive number if you currently have missionaries serving from your ward.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”