void checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

void checks

Post by wrigjef »

We have a few old outstanding checks in the stake. In one case the check was researched, found to be lost so we voided it and reissued another. The replacement has been cashed and cleared but the original still shows up on the CUFS as outstanding.

In other cases outstanding FO checks were researched and found that payment was made by other means so they have been voided.

All have been reported to SL as void but still appear after several months. My question is do these checks also need to appear on the outstanding check report?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote:We have a few old outstanding checks in the stake. . . . All have been reported to SL as void but still appear after several months. My question is do these checks also need to appear on the outstanding check report?
If you voided them properly in MLS, they should drop off of the outstanding checks list on your unit financial report. I am not sure how long that takes (I would think only a month or two, but Alan will let us know [grin]). If it takes longer than that, a followup to CHQ would be in order.

If you have voided them in MLS, do not put them on the outstanding check report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:We have a few old outstanding checks in the stake. In one case the check was researched, found to be lost so we voided it and reissued another. The replacement has been cashed and cleared but the original still shows up on the CUFS as outstanding.

In other cases outstanding FO checks were researched and found that payment was made by other means so they have been voided.

All have been reported to SL as void but still appear after several months. My question is do these checks also need to appear on the outstanding check report?
Do not report them as outstanding checks -- that is only for obligations that have been paid but not cashed by the payee.

Rather, you need to track down why they are not listed as void. Something might have gone wrong in the transmission. Except for voids that happen right at the end of a month, the voiding should show up on the CUFS for the month in which you voided the check (and transmitted).

You might have your stake clerk or stake financial clerk take a look to see if they can see anything; otherwise, you just need to call Local Unit Support to figure it out.
Lynn N-p40

Lost Check, To be voided, SL requires to ward to be in possession?

Post by Lynn N-p40 »

As a ward finance clerk, I'm in a quandary as to how I can void a lost check when MLS requires me to be in possession of the check to be able to void it. Any Suggestions?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Lynn N wrote:As a ward finance clerk, I'm in a quandary as to how I can void a lost check when MLS requires me to be in possession of the check to be able to void it. Any Suggestions?
There is a lost check process. See page A-9, of the MLS help manual (section labeled "Stopping payment on a check".) It basically involves calling clerk support to place a stop payment on a check, voiding it in MLS, and then reissuing a replacement.
Lynn N-p40

Post by Lynn N-p40 »

oregonmatt wrote:There is a lost check process. See page A-9, of the MLS help manual (section labeled "Stopping payment on a check".) It basically involves calling clerk support to place a stop payment on a check, voiding it in MLS, and then reissuing a replacement.

Thank you for your comments. The link that you gave me, page 9 is on callings not finance. If possible, can you please give me the proper link? Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Lynn N wrote:Thank you for your comments. The link that you gave me, page 9 is on callings not finance. If possible, can you please give me the proper link? Thank you.
That is the correct link and page number. But it's a bit confusing, since there is a regular page 9, and a page A-9 in Appendix A. Page A-9 is on page 35 of the PDF.
nbllds-p40

Post by nbllds-p40 »

I have a similar issue as the original post: A check written on December 7, 2009 was voided Jan. 11, 2010. I can see in MLS that it is indeed voided, but it shows up in the January CUFS in the Outstanding sub-category, rather than the Voided Checks. I've voided checks before, and I believe my experience has been like Alan mentioned - the void appears in the CUFS for the month it was voided.
Lynn N-p40

Got it.

Post by Lynn N-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:That is the correct link and page number. But it's a bit confusing, since there is a regular page 9, and a page A-9 in Appendix A. Page A-9 is on page 35 of the PDF.

Thanks for taking the time for the clarificaiton. :D

Return to “Local Unit Finance”