December Budget Bills

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

blairjames wrote:See here is the rub, When I pay Decembers bills in January, then the next years budget is decreased by Decembers bills. OK, I guess that's no big deal if I magically increase the following years budget by the sum of decembers bills.
Call me dense, but I don't quite understand the problem. I've been a ward finance clerk for almost 5 years and our stake has also chosen to NOT carry over any budget money from year to year, but I don't see that as a problem. I usually pay any 'bills' (reimbursements and/or fast offering expenses) the same week I get them, so first off, they never get a full month behind.

At the end of the year, if an auxiliary leader can get me a receipt for expenses during the last week of Dec, then I make every effort to cut a check in Dec. If I don't get it in time, I simply cut the check in Jan. I let them all know ahead of time MY deadline for year-end receipts and also let them know the consequences of missing it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As long as I can remember there has always been a concerted effort by both stake and ward leaders to let members know that the budget has a cutoff date and any reimbursements or bills must be paid by that date. Failure to meet the deadline results in the funds coming out of the next year's budget. When there have been circumstances beyond a member's control that required bills for December to be paid in January they have always been taken to the stake president for consideration so as to not jeopardize the next year's budget. Fortunately this seldom happens.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:. . . our stake has also chosen to NOT carry over any budget money from year to year, . . .
I think as long as everyone is working faithfully to stay within their budget allocation, there will not be a problem whether or not the stake decides to carry over any differences at the end of the accounting year.

And the stake does have everything it needs to take care of any differences that arise.
blairjames

blairjames

Post by blairjames »

Dear mikerowaved,

No No No I'm not implying anyone is dense. All you folks have been great to help the new guy understand. You see in this small town we still have open charge accounts with all vendors, and they bill us once a month after the first (unheard of in today's world) so we don't have to write a dozen checks to the same place each month.
But I get the Idea, and I'll be sure to collect all receipts early and pay before the end of December.
Thank's again to all for your help!!! :):):)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

blairjames wrote:You see in this small town we still have open charge accounts with all vendors, and they bill us once a month after the first (unheard of in today's world) so we don't have to write a dozen checks to the same place each month.
While I'm sure that's nice, it seems like it could easily undermine the bishop's responsibility to approve all expenditures. I know I'd be wary of any such arrangement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:
blairjames wrote:You see in this small town we still have open charge accounts with all vendors, and they bill us once a month after the first (unheard of in today's world) so we don't have to write a dozen checks to the same place each month.
While I'm sure that's nice, it seems like it could easily undermine the bishop's responsibility to approve all expenditures. I know I'd be wary of any such arrangement.
I would have to agree with Russell. How does each charge at each of those vendors get approved before the bill is sent to the ward? How does the bishop disapprove a charge with a vendor if is not appropriate? How does each charge become associated with an individual and not just the ward for the purpose of allocating against an auxiliary budget category, ward budget category, or Other account? How do you create the audit trail necessary for auditing purposes?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greggo

Post by greggo »

Alan_Brown wrote:In our stake, we have chosen to always have wards carry forward their surplus (up to a fairly generous cap amount).
I'm curious. How do you manage the surpluses at the stake level? Am I assuming correctly that the stake budget is decreased for the following year when ward surpluses are carried-over?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:I'm curious. How do you manage the surpluses at the stake level? Am I assuming correctly that the stake budget is decreased for the following year when ward surpluses are carried-over?
The stake is allowed to carry forward the net of all its surpluses. So the stake may have an overall surplus, but that doesn't necessarily decrease the stake budget itself, since the stake budget should reflect what the stake needs to spend, not the total.

Perhaps a concrete hypothetical example will illustrate. I'll use a system of annual ward allocations to simplify the example, although quarterly allocations would require a few adjustments to the procedure.

Suppose our stake began 2008 with $22,000 in surplus. We have three wards. Ward1 ended 2007 with a $1000 deficit, Ward2 had a $500 surplus, and Ward3 had a $2500 surplus. We have a policy of capping big surpluses, so we'll let Ward3 carry forward $1500, and the remainder goes back into the general stake surplus. So of the $22,000 total surplus, we allocate $1000 (-$1000 + $500 + $1500) to the wards, leaving $21,000 surplus for the stake.

For each ward budget, we use whatever formula we would normally use to determine their budget allocation, independent of any surplus or deficit. Suppose that is $11,000 for Ward1, $12,000 for Ward2, and $13,000 for Ward3. Then we add in any surplus or deficit, resulting in a net annual allocation for the wards of $10,000, $12,500, and $14,500, respectively.

For the stake, we simply determine the budget (based on our anticipated spending needs and our estimate of the budget allowance). That becomes the budget. Suppose we expect to allocate $25,000 of the total budget allowance to the stake budget. We expect expenses this year to be $27,000. So we are essentially allocating $2,000 of that net surplus to the stake, leaving $19,000 extra surplus.

We simply hold the $19,000 in reserve, to help us manage differences in the quarterly allocations from our estimates, unanticipated extra spending this year, or saving for the big stake youth conference expenditure we know is coming next year.

So that was a long answer, but I hope it explains how it may well be the case that allowing wards to carry forward their surpluses might not really affect the stake budget. But if a stake chooses not to let wards carry forward their surpluses, then the stake is essentially getting a windfall at the beginning of each year, which distorts their budget in a different direction.

There are a lot of ways to handle this -- I simply gave one example that is fairly close to how our stake has chosen to do it. It may sound complicated, but really it's just a matter of plugging a few values in a spreadsheet we already have, so it's pretty easy.
blairjames

December Bills

Post by blairjames »

jdlessley wrote:I would have to agree with Russell. How does each charge at each of those vendors get approved before the bill is sent to the ward? How does the bishop disapprove a charge with a vendor if is not appropriate? How does each charge become associated with an individual and not just the ward for the purpose of allocating against an auxiliary budget category, ward budget category, or Other account? How do you create the audit trail necessary for auditing purposes?

Wow, I had no Idea I would start such an interesting (and long) thread by just asking how to keep December bills in December. I think everyone including me agrees that they just need to be paid in December even though we normally pay (some) after being billed after the first.
For the above concerns, let me be clear that nothing is paid without first being presented to the Bishop on an Expense authorization form that the church prescribes, with requestors name and signature, space for who is to be paid including address, description of expense purpose, box to check whether it is budget, fast offering, other account (Scouting), name of auxilary with presidents signature and receipt, then lastly the Bishop signs. Further, Each receipt must be signed by the purchasing individual.

Info from this form, is all thats necessary to enter the expense from each expense form into computer.
All the above is kept in a simple weekly dated binder with the check stub attached. After the check is cut, I review each check and all the above attached info with Bishop. He signs every check (no exceptions). He then signs the form the computer spits out after each batch.

OK-yes members make decisions on their own as what to buy for their organization. I think Joseph Smith had counsel on this matter. Teach members correct principles and let them guide themselves. Inappropriate purchases as you ask; never seen it happen. If it did, the Bishop can deal with it and not approve it and I won't pay that invoice. That's why he is Bishop.
Stake audit 2 weeks ago showed no exceptions.
Thanks for asking me to justify. Hopefully you will continue to help me and others learn how to take best care of the Lord's Funds.:)
Blair James
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The reason for the flurry of questions was because of the appearance that anyone could go to a vendor with just the knowledge of the open account, make a purchase after identifying themselves as authorized to do so, and the vendor complete the transaction and then send in the monthly bill.

If the vendor is merely congregating the purchases into one monthly bill for payment then that is a convenience that has gone out of practice several decades ago with other point of purchase forms of payment becoming more common practice (debit cards and such). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps you could work with the vendors to send the December bill to meet your deadline for payment in December rather than waiting for them to send it as usual. You could even call them and ask if there was a balance and send the payment to cover that. Then when the bill arrives it would merely be a statement to verify the payment you sent them.
JD Lessley

Return to “Local Unit Finance”