Other account scout registration in Canada

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mikewatchman
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Other account scout registration in Canada

Postby mikewatchman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi, I am made a mistake on Sunday by writing the cheque for scout registration out of the YM budget account. As I understand it, I was supposed to write it from the other account. We were then to deposit money from the families and the stake back into the other account. Would it be proper for me to write a cheque from other account and deposit it into YM budget to fix this mistake? Or is there a better way? The cheques have already been given to Scouts Canada.

Thanks.

mikewatchman
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Postby mikewatchman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:49 pm

I think I found my answer in this post:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3527

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:28 pm

mikewatchman wrote:I think I found my answer in this post:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3527


That post wasn't the exact same situation. For your current issue, you can simply correct the check in MLS.
  1. Go to View/Update Expenses
  2. Click on the appropriate underlined check number.
  3. Change the category from Budget:YM to Other:Scout Registration
  4. Provide the reason.
  5. Save your changes
  6. Do a Send/Receive.
By doing it this way, you'll have a good audit trail of what was changed, and the expense will no longer hit your budget. Make sure the documentation for the expense makes a note of the category change.

mikewatchman wrote:I was supposed to write it from the other account. We were then to deposit money from the families and the stake back into the other account. Would it be proper for me to write a cheque from other account and deposit it into YM budget to fix this mistake? Or is there a better way?


I'm not sure if the policies are in Canada, but I thought they were the same as in the US, where Scout Registration is a Stake Reimbursible Expense, meaning that if the stake writes a check from the proper subcategory of Other, the Church will reimburse the stake. If so, you wouldn't need to be collecting money "from the families and the stake."

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6131
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure if the policies are in Canada, but I thought they were the same as in the US, where Scout Registration is a Stake Reimbursible Expense, meaning that if the stake writes a check from the proper subcategory of Other, the Church will reimburse the stake. If so, you wouldn't need to be collecting money "from the families and the stake."


Because of the cost to register a scout in Canada, they use a different set of rules and guidelines. The Church does not reimburse all of the cost.

The answer you gave on how to transfer the check category was correct and proper.

mikewatchman
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Postby mikewatchman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks guys.


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest