Checks in Financial Statement not Showing in Reconciliation Expenses

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jared-p40

Checks in Financial Statement not Showing in Reconciliation Expenses

Post by jared-p40 »

On my Church Unit Financial Statement I have checks that cleared, but they don't show up under the Reconciliation Expense Tab. Any help would be great.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jared wrote:On my Church Unit Financial Statement I have checks that cleared, but they don't show up under the Reconciliation Expense Tab. Any help would be great.

Were these checks written in July, or in a previous month? If they were written earlier, one possibility is that the checks were incorrectly checked off as cleared in a previous month.

You can check out that possibility in MLS by going to View/Update Expenses and finding the checks. If they have a status of "Cleared" then that means that they have already been marked off on a previous month. Note that checks written from Budget or Fast Offering can be checked off early or late and it won't affect the reconciliation balances, since all Budget and Fast Offering checks have corresponding automatic transfers that reimburse the expense.

If indeed that is the case, then there's really nothing you need to do, except perhaps make sure that the list of outstanding checks is indeed accurate for July (in case other checks were inadvertantly checked off before they actually cleared).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

There have been times I've written checks on the 31st of a given month and have them missing from the CUFS until the following month. I think this is a standard operating procedure with CHQ, depending on which day of the week the 31st falls on. I would simply make a temporary adjustment for those checks and wait until next month's statement to give them a check mark in MLS.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:There have been times I've written checks on the 31st of a given month and have them missing from the CUFS until the following month. I think this is a standard operating procedure with CHQ, depending on which day of the week the 31st falls on. I would simply make a temporary adjustment for those checks and wait until next month's statement to give them a check mark in MLS.

What was reported on this thread was the opposite problem: checks showing on the CUFS that don't appear on the reconciliation screen of MLS.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:What was reported on this thread was the opposite problem: checks showing on the CUFS that don't appear on the reconciliation screen of MLS.
Ahhh... thanks for the correction. :o
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”