increase allocation given changes in youth ages

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wesprince

increase allocation given changes in youth ages

Post by wesprince »

As a clerk, I recently had a question about budget and the changes in the age of youth attending youth activities. Now that 11 yr olds (as of Dec 31, 2018) started attending YM and YW activities things got more expensive (larger quorums and classes). The auxiliary leaders were wondering if their budget would be increased. It looks like the ward should shift some money from primary to YM and YW based on the number of 11 yr olds in the ward. In addition to this, will the church be considering 11 yr olds as youth and increasing the amount given per 11 yr old in the quarterly allocation amount?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: increase allocation given changes in youth ages

Post by russellhltn »

The amounts given to each group is completely up to the ward. It's just one lump sum as it comes from the stake.

Good question about the amounts HQ gives. I haven't heard anything in that area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

As russelhltn indicated, the ward is responsible for allocating the amounts to individual organizations in the ward and should take these changes into account in planning activities and costs for the year.

The allocation for YM and YW is based on attendance in priesthood and young women classes. So 11 yr olds who are now in YM or YW should be included in those attendance numbers and the allocation should apply to them as well. So I'm not sure any changes are really needed. The allocations should naturally become more. It's true that there is a lag between when the attendance starts and when the increase in allocation occurs but this has always been true if there are several new YM or YW in a quarter so I wouldn't expect a change.
wesprince

Post by wesprince »

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I was clear with my primary (not primary as in"give said the little stream") question. Does the amount per 11 yr old increase now that they are considered youth and not primary children. In the past, HQ paid the same for an 11 yr old as other primary children, but they paid more for children 12 yrs and older since they are youth. Now that 11yr olds are considered youth age, do we get more per 11 yr old? Maybe I'll call one of those church HQ numbers this week and inquire.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As been pointed out, it's based on the number attending classes. With the 11 year olds attending "youth" classes, the amount for "youth" will go up in the 3rd quarter based on the 1st quarter reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

wesprince wrote:In the past, HQ paid the same for an 11 yr old as other primary children, but they paid more for children 12 yrs and older since they are youth. Now that 11yr olds are considered youth age, do we get more per 11 yr old?
As you say, the amounts are based on the organization not the age. The amount for primary is based on the total number attending primary times the ratio of those 8 and older (on the rolls) vs the total number of primary children (on the rolls). The amount for youth is based on the number of youth attending Sunday classes. So your total primary allocation will go down approximately proportional to how many were lost from primary and the total youth allocation will go up proportionally to how many were added. The total combined will be higher because the youth allocation is about twice the primary allocation.

So, yes, in short more will be allocated for the 11 yr olds who are now in youth classes.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”