Donations from ward fund raisers

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jpjones~ogr

Re: Donations from ward fund raisers

Post by jpjones~ogr »

Yep. My plans include consolidating instruction and information on fundraisers to share with current and future leaders, and I need perspective to do so. This thread and another on fundraisers have significantly shortened my education. Thanks to all who participate in this forum.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jpjones~ogr wrote:As examples, dinner attendees pay cash 'at the door' and notes of who they were are lacking, or cookies are available during a dinner for additional cost and notes of who paid are lacking.
We encourage our youth leaders to provide donation envelopes and slips at the door, ask attendees to place their payment in the envelope and then give them to a member of the bishopric (which means making sure a member of the bishopric is easily available--perhaps at the door). It's somewhat more complicated then just taking money directly but it follows the money handling policies of the church.

Of course, if the donor doesn't fill out the slip we don't know who it was so we record it as Anonymous.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

And please ask donors to make checks payable to the ward or the church.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
bwmurphy

Post by bwmurphy »

We have a YM/YW activity coming up this summer where the majority of the expenses will come out of the budget. But members will need to pay a small portion of the cost. I understand the process involved for fund raising, etc. The one question I haven't been able to answer from the handbook concerns refunds. If a family paid their portion (say $50) for their child to participate but the child is unable to go, can they have their $50 refunded from the activity's subcategory that was created for money collected?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

bwmurphy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 am If a family paid their portion (say $50) for their child to participate but the child is unable to go, can they have their $50 refunded from the activity's subcategory that was created for money collected?
I haven't seen anything that addresses that either way. However, that was the documented practice when money was handled in the AMFA categories. Since the payments to budget aren't tax-deductible and aren't considered 'donations' but payments, I assume you should refund as was done previously.

But if you want to make sure, you should contact the global service department.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”