Advances and redeposits

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Greggo wrote:If I'm recalling correctly, I do remember now something the stake auditor said during an audit (pre-MLS days). He told about a donation that was made by a local businessman (not a member) that was given to the stake president and processed at the stake level.

I guess nowadays the stake president would ask the person to donate to the ward or pass it to the ward himself?
Since this was pre-MLS, I wonder if it was during the prior budgeting system. Today, I can't think of a single place that anyone could donate money that would benefit the local unit and generate a tax receipt. At least not automatically.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Since this was pre-MLS, I wonder if it was during the prior budgeting system. Today, I can't think of a single place that anyone could donate money that would benefit the local unit and generate a tax receipt. At least not automatically.
It doesn't have to benefit the local unit in order to require a tax receipt. Any donation to a charitable donation category would require a tax receipt.

But it is hard to think of a reason that some non-member would want to make a donation that did not benefit the local unit. I suppose if a young man or woman had worked for the non-member, or had some other connection, and the young man or woman went on a mission, the non-member might want to pay part of the missionary support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:But it is hard to think of a reason that some non-member would want to make a donation that did not benefit the local unit.
Exactly. The whole idea makes me want to know more about what's going on, because something doesn't sound right.
Alan_Brown wrote:I suppose if a young man or woman had worked for the non-member, or had some other connection, and the young man or woman went on a mission, the non-member might want to pay part of the missionary support.
Ah, I think you've found an exception. :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Just for the record, this was not during the prior budgeting system.

My recollection is that the man was a good friend of the stake president and was impressed with the church's humanitarian work to the point that he wanted to make a donation (may have been a very large donation) and gave the check to the stake president.

It's not really important at this point what really happened (the auditor may have misunderstood, and the deposit may have actually been at the ward level). It's enough to me to understand that all donations should be processed at the ward level.
atticusewig

Post-disaster donations from nonmembers common

Post by atticusewig »

I have found it rather common for nonmembers to donate
right after a natural disaster such as a hurricane.
Especially when the church organizes service projects
to help the communities affected.

When the "Mormon Helping Hands" show up, many people
want to help financially, despite how many times we
insist that we are "volunteering" our efforts.

I have also found that friends of members, who hear about
some of our humanitarian projects, are impressed and
want to donate towards them. They might not be ready to
join the church, but they know that the Member is a
"good guy" and that the money donated will be used more
for ministration than for administration.

- Atticus Ewig

Return to “Local Unit Finance”