Pre-Generated Year End Statements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davesudweeks

Re: Pre-Generated Year End Statements

Post by davesudweeks »

As soon as they are ready, we print them, place them in envelopes with the family name on the front, and then hand them out each Sunday until the end of the month. Any we don't catch at church, we add the address to the envelope and mail them after the last Sunday in January. We have 2 assistant clerks so between the three of us, it isn't too much of a challenge (may be more difficult with only 1 break between meetings now instead of 2). Usually only about a dozen have to be mailed each year.
steele7

Post by steele7 »

Still nothing. We have over 250 households in our ward. Its a little hard to just hand them out.
dandshall2

Post by dandshall2 »

I am a task oriented person and it is frustrating that I cannot yet get these statements printed out. I would like to have these printed out and ready to be handed out for this Sunday but this unknown delay is frustrating. I had ward members contacting me asking for their year end statements and I tell them that the church has not yet released them therefore I do not have access to them either. But I feel as though members might be thinking that I am not performing my calling as I should. I do not like or want to depend on others to get my job done, but in this situation there is nothing I can do. Patience is a virtue that I do not have and I know I need to grow in this, but giving me a deadline but yet not allowing to move forward to complete the task as the deadline approaches is frustrating. I believe the Church should have a known deadline (such as January 20th) to have these statements released that would give us clerks time to print and get the statements handed out. Sorry for the venting, but only fellow clerks might understand the feeling.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The deadline is 31 January. Expecting anything before that will only raise your stress level.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The only sure way to get your voice heard is to provide feedback via LDS.org. You should not expect a personalized response, but I understand all feedback is read and forwarded to the appropriate priesthood department. I'm sure the challenge is not lost on the church, but bear in mind that they probably wait a reasonable time into January to make sure any donations mailed at the end of the year have been deposited so they will be credited to the correct year as required by the IRS (at least in the USA). Based on the timing of mail deliveries with the holidays, that could be AFTER the 2nd Sunday in January.

We all feel your pain as we are all just regular members like yourself. My ward has about 185 households, but I can usually get almost all of the reports distributed in 2 Sundays and then mail fewer than a dozen at the end of the month, especially since not all households receive a report (only those who donate and do not self-opt out of a printed report will receive one).
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

davesudweeks wrote:We all feel your pain as we are all just regular members like yourself.
A lot of the developers eat their own dog food and know the things that have to happen after statements are generated. The LCR development teams include plenty of current and former clerks, bishopric members. and stake presidency members. Off the top of my head, I can think of eleven of us who work on LCR and related systems during the week and use LCR on Sundays (or more frequently).
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

lajackson wrote:
mbatemantx wrote:I thought that we had to have them distributed or postmarked by Jan 31 to the recipient?
That is the Internal Revenue Service requirement. I would just hand them out on the first Sunday after you receive them.
And to add to that; mail any you are unable to hand deliver before the 31st.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scgallafent wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:We all feel your pain as we are all just regular members like yourself.
A lot of the developers eat their own dog food and know the things that have to happen after statements are generated. The LCR development teams include plenty of current and former clerks, bishopric members. and stake presidency members. Off the top of my head, I can think of eleven of us who work on LCR and related systems during the week and use LCR on Sundays (or more frequently).
Just to be clear, I was commenting in support of the programmers and that we need to be a little patient because they really do "get it" when it comes to these issues. I hope no one took my comment as a dig against anyone. My main point was: posting here won't get anyone's voice necessarily heard by those who set priorities and there are ways to accomplish this if we don't get focused on only doing things one way. Did not mean to offend anyone if any offense was taken.

We will print them when they come available and will distribute all before Jan 31 (in person or via postal mail as we have for many years). However, once they are printed and in the clerk's office, they are "available" and any member can stop by and pick theirs up at their convenience if they cannot wait until we get them distributed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:We will print them when they come available and will distribute all before Jan 31 (in person or via postal mail as we have for many years).
There's a certain amount of Serenity Prayer to this - don't stress over things you can't control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:However, once they are printed and in the clerk's office, they are "available" and any member can stop by and pick theirs up at their convenience if they cannot wait until we get them distributed.
This fully satisfies the IRS rules.
An organization that does not acknowledge a contribution incurs no penalty; but, without a written acknowledgement, the donor cannot claim the tax deduction.

Recipient organizations typically send written acknowledgements to donors no later than January 31 of the year following the donation.

IRS Publication 1771
The Church makes a great effort to help members and has self-imposed the typical deadline by which they expect to do so. There is still time for this to be a "typical" year.

There is a different requirement if the donor contributed more than $75 and received something in return other than "intangible religious benefits". In that case, the written disclosure is required and there can be a financial penalty to the organization for not providing it.

But our donor statements are all for "intangible religious benefits".

Return to “Local Unit Finance”