Inactive Ward Missionary Subaccount

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
NeilWilliams

Inactive Ward Missionary Subaccount

Post by NeilWilliams »

How do I inactivate a ward missionary subaccount? Thank you!

In the wiki it says:
The Missionary Department will set up a subcategory of the Ward Missionary account for each missionary
Record donations and expenses in the appropriate subcategory
Just before the end of year when the missionary returns, zero out the subcategory by transferring funds to or from the parent Ward Missionary category
At the first of the next year, inactivate the subcategory

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Ward_missionary_funds
davesudweeks

Re: Inactive Ward Missionary Subaccount

Post by davesudweeks »

Once the subcategory is set to zero, it should be deleted automatically after some time period. The clock doesn't start ticking on that time period until the subcategory is at zero and it cannot be deleted if it has a positive or negative balance. I don't believe you can actually mark it "inactive" in MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I don't believe you can actually mark it "inactive" in MLS.
Yeah, wiki may be out of date on that detail. It used to be the subaccounts were all under local control. Not anymore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Once the missionary sub-account is at zero, it usually goes away within two months. Headquarters sets them up and removes them now.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”