Transfer of Funds from Wards to Budget Allocations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
twco

Transfer of Funds from Wards to Budget Allocations

Post by twco »

We are doing a stake activity, and instead of having wards cut a check, we have asked them to transfer the amounts. Some wards have transferred the amounts to "Budget Allocations", which do not appear in the Stake's income. Due to this, I cannot offset the stake expense with the amounts from the wards. What happens to the funds that are transferred into Budget Allocations? Is this money then spread out to the different wards based on the allocation % set each quarter? Is there a way I can recover these funds that have been transferred to budget allocations in order to properly offset the expenses incurred by the stake?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Transfer of Funds from Wards to Budget Allocations

Post by lajackson »

Interunit transfers should all be in the top-level budget account. You should be able to transfer to different accounts from there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:You should be able to transfer to different accounts from there.
If you can't recatagoroze it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:Interunit transfers should all be in the top-level budget account. You should be able to transfer to different accounts from there.
It's kind of just semantics but there isn't really a top-level budget account but rather just a total available budget. The transfer should make your available total available budget amount larger.

But the important aspect of this difference is that you can't create a transfer from the total available budget. But because you now have a larger available budget you can go into the budget (using Finance > Budget > View/Update Budget in MLS) and increase the budget amount allocated to the category for the activity. So it still looks like the stake is paying for the entire activity but your budget for the activity is larger than it was before the unit's provided their payments. When viewing the budget on that screen the transfers should show up as 'Additional Income' or some such. I don't have MLS in front of me right now to see the exact name but on that screen there should be a carry over amount from the previous year, an amount for each of the 4 quarters and an additional income or budget amount--these 6 items add up to be your total available budget. If you had previously allocated your entire budget then you should now have additional unallocated budget.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:If you can't recatagoroze it.
I'd recommend that as the preferred approach as well but I don't believe you can recategorize any transfer much less one to Budget Allocations.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”