Change assigned ward for Missionar Financial Commitment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mcochegrus

Change assigned ward for Missionar Financial Commitment

Post by mcochegrus »

Good morning,

How can we change the missionary 's financial commitment to another ward when he has moved? We have several financial commitments from different missionaries that have moved to wards within our stake but also outside our stake.

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Change assigned ward for Missionar Financial Commitment

Post by russellhltn »

You need to contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:You need to contact support.
They will tell you to get the two Bishops to talk to one another, to arrange the transfer of the financial responsibility from the original ward to the new ward.

A Ward Clerk can’t do this. I know because I’m in the process of trying to get two missionary accounts transferred.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Agreed. The new bishop must accept the responsibility to fund the mission. He must also agree upon the transfer of funds to cover prior months, if any.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jeremyjordin

Post by jeremyjordin »

I have a similar situation with a missionary that has moved out of our ward.
So after the bishops have agreed to the switch, then what? A conference call between the two bishops and support?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jeremyjordin wrote:I have a similar situation with a missionary that has moved out of our ward.
So after the bishops have agreed to the switch, then what? A conference call between the two bishops and support?
It can be a simple as the "gaining" bishop contacting the missionary department to tell them the financial responsibility is now in his ward as of "x" date. I think it would be better for the "gaining" bishop to make the contact rather than the "losing" bishop but they do need to confer beforehand to account for any over-funded or unfunded amounts in the ward missionary funds. If the date is set right, both ward mission accounts will be corrected at the same time as the transfer of financial responsibility.
falcon771

Post by falcon771 »

We have been through this a couple of times. These are the instructions that I send to the bishops when asked. NOTE: The MLS message option might not work anymore, I have not had anyone try that.

Transferring missionary funding to another ward
When the family of a currently serving missionary moves to a different ward or branch, financial responsibility for the missionary is not automatically transferred to the new ward.

The bishops of the wards involved need to discuss the transfer of financial responsibility. Note that the bishop of the former ward cannot transfer financial responsibility for the missionary's support to the new ward. The bishop of the new ward needs to initiate the transfer of financial support. Once they have agreed on the transfer of support and the timing, the bishop in the new ward should contact the Church to make the arrangements.

To transfer financial responsibility:

1. The Missionary Department will need the new contact information for the missionary's parents so they can keep their records up to date. Call the Missionary Department (801-240-2222 or 800-453-3860 x22222) and they will update the unit and address for the missionary. They will also create a Ward Missionary subcategory for the missionary in the new ward's MLS.

2. Contact the Global Service Center (855-537-4357) about the transfer of financial responsibility through a phone call (the Missionary Department can transfer the phone call for you) or an MLS message and provide the following information:
  • Full name of the missionary
    Name and number of the new unit
    Effective date of the change (may be a past date)
    Indication that the new bishop agrees to take on financial support of the missionary
ChettKB

Post by ChettKB »

I'm the clerk my branch pres on a service mission wants to make some donations to be added to the Cambodian Branch rather than to his home Ward CV1. He wants to be able to donate to his mission branch and also his home ward. As the clerk I need to make this possible.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

What type of donations? He can donate to specific missionaries in any ward, but he cannot donate to the branch missionary fund. He also can't make tithing or fast offering donations to another unit, since all such donations are automatically swept into the general funds.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:What type of donations? He can donate to specific missionaries in any ward, but he cannot donate to the branch missionary fund. He also can't make tithing or fast offering donations to another unit, since all such donations are automatically swept into the general funds.
Slight correction: He should be able to donate to the branch he is serving in (tithing, fast offering, branch missionary, etc) if he donates locally with local currency. Tithing and fast offering funds will be swept, but branch mission funds should not be swept. It may not be possible using online donations (if available there). It may not be possible to transfer missionary fund donations from your branch to the branch he is serving in - Support should be able to answer that question and as the clerk, you can call them or send an MLS message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”