Funding Missionary by local church funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cahoca

Funding Missionary by local church funds

Post by cahoca »

Our bishop would like to help fund a member missionary on a monthly basis. How do I set this up properly?
davesudweeks

Re: Funding Missionary by local church funds

Post by davesudweeks »

cahoca wrote:Our bishop would like to help fund a member missionary on a monthly basis. How do I set this up properly?
We have a family in our ward with a son on a mission but employment challenges. Some ward members donate to the son's mission account but it is not consistent. Here is how we handle it:

As the ward clerk, I review the monthly statement when it comes in, sign it, and pass it to the Bishop for his review/signature. At that time, I tell him the status of the missionary's account and ask if he wants me to zero it out with a transfer. It only takes a few minutes to transfer from ward mission to the missionary's sub-account.

I don't think there is a way to do this automatically - each transfer is a manual action. That said, the overall mission account (which includes the balance of the missionary sub-accounts) is the most important thing to keep an eye on. I have twins serving missions so we make sure we zero-out their balance every month or two, but if they are negative for a month its no big deal because the overall ward mission fund is fine and I let the bishop know what's going on. I have extended family who donates online to their missions occasionally so I wait to see where it stands first before I zero it out each time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What do you mean by "member missionary"? I'd suggest reading Handbook 1: 4.6: Financing Missionary Service. By in large, the system is set up only to support young full-time missionaries. That sub account is setup and withdrawals are done automatically by headquarters. You only have to guide donations into that sub-account.

Handbook 1: 4.6.3 seems to provide for supporting some other types of missionaries, but I've never heard how that was done.

If you're talking about a Ward Missionary as defined in Handbook 2: 5.1.4, which serves in their home ward as a calling, there is no provision for financing them as a missionary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I took the OP to indicate a full time missionary serving from their unit, which is how I structured my response. In rereading their post, I may have been in error.

Good points for the OP about checking the handbook for other situations.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”