Missionary Fund withdrawl and time of service

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Does this mean that for a missionary who returns home more than 15 days before the anniversary date the ward will be charged one less month?

For an English-speaking (or any native speaking) missionary who spends three weeks in the MTC, the release date is either going to be 21 days after the anniversary, or 21 days before the anniversary, depending on which of the six-weeks transfer dates the mission president uses for the release.

That means an elder would either go for 23 or 25 payments, or a sister would go for 17 or 19 payments?
I'm not following your math. A 24-month mission is about 104 weeks (plus 2-3 days). 17 full transfers make 102 weeks, plus 3 weeks in the MTC makes 105 weeks. That is 24 months plus 4-5 days. If they spend 8-9 weeks in the MTC plus 16 full transfers, that's about the same. It's within a fraction of a week of exactly 24 months. There are a few languages for which the missionaries can spend 12 weeks in the MTC; that's rare, but would pose a challenge of being a month late or two weeks early.

For the sisters it doesn't work out quite as well, but of course that's far less common. An 18-month mission is about 78 weeks. 12 full transfers make 72 weeks, plus 3 or 8 weeks makes 75 or 80 weeks. So if they stay an whole number of transfers, they will leave earlier or later than 18 months. A 12-week MTC stay makes it work out perfectly. But in my experience, mission presidents are quite flexible with the sisters, and they may well leave in the middle of a transfer.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not following your math.
Your math is much better than mine. [grin] And I would never expect 23 or 17 to be the answer under normal circumstances.

I guess I am thinking of cases where a missionary is asked by the mission president if he or she would like to return one transfer earlier to get back into school. But, that would be a special case.
c1120107

Re: Missionary Fund withdrawl and time of service

Post by c1120107 »

My son left for the MTC on July 12th. He will be returning home from his mission on August 10th. The end of June would have been his 24 months however, he extended a full transfer. I am aware that I am responsible for making the 25th payment for July. My question is this, do I also make a payment in August???? Everyone I seem to ask has no idea if I do not.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I'm not sure how the timing works out on this. In this situation, I would wait until he gets home and then have your ward clerk check to see whether an additional month of support funds is needed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

c1120107 wrote:My son left for the MTC on July 12th. He will be returning home from his mission on August 10th.
This should be 25 months. As scgallafent said, I would stop there and have your ward clerk let you know if another month is needed.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”