Anonymous Donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kylems-p40

Anonymous Donations

Post by kylems-p40 »

What policies are there concerning anonymous donations? Can they be made to any category (except Budget, of course)?

Are there any specifics in accepting them into an "Other" account (assuming there were no funds to return)?

In our case, we had an anonymous donation marked for "Other - YW Camp." Since we could not trace who donated it, but understood their intention to help out any girls who couldn't pay, we deposited it as the specified category. We did not use any budget funds for the camp.

In retrospect, I think it may have been better to fund the camp from "Budget - YW" category, and then ask the participants for help with the remainder (from slide 18 of "Understanding and Using the 'Other' Category"). But this raises another question: Is it okay to ask the participants to donate first, and then fund the rest from budget?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kylems wrote:What policies are there concerning anonymous donations? Can they be made to any category (except Budget, of course)?

Are there any specifics in accepting them into an "Other" account (assuming there were no funds to return)?

In our case, we had an anonymous donation marked for "Other - YW Camp." Since we could not trace who donated it, but understood their intention to help out any girls who couldn't pay, we deposited it as the specified category. We did not use any budget funds for the camp.

In retrospect, I think it may have been better to fund the camp from "Budget - YW" category, and then ask the participants for help with the remainder (from slide 18 of "Understanding and Using the 'Other' Category"). But this raises another question: Is it okay to ask the participants to donate first, and then fund the rest from budget?
The basic principle is that all activities are funded from the Budget Allowance. For one annual camp, there is a possible exception, so YW camp is funded:
  1. From the Budget Allowance.
  2. If budget funds are not sufficient, leaders may ask participants to pay for all or part of the camp by individually earning their own money.
  3. If funds from participants are not sufficient, the bishop may authorize fund-raising activities that meet specific guidelines.
An anonymous donation is definitely not within those guidelines. I know it can be awkward, but I don't see how you could even accept the payment, if you had that option. If you had no way of tracing the donor, you would follow standard procedure for processing anonymous donations.

So I think your "in retrospect" plan is a good one. The concept with having participants paying for part of the camp is that you plan the cost (within the letter and spirit of the Budget Allowance guidelines on p. 159 of the Handbook) and then determine how much can be paid from Budget. The remainder is paid by the participants.

Note that the participants are making a payment that is their calculated share of the cost, not donating funds. So assuming you have done the proper planning, the actual order in which you collect those funds and make payments doesn't matter much.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Alan_Brown wrote:An anonymous donation is definitely not within those guidelines. I know it can be awkward, but I don't see how you could even accept the payment, if you had that option.
For me, I don't see a problem with accepting the donation for the Other:YW Camp category. I don't think it would be any different than processing the funds from a fundraiser. It would just reduce the amount the individual YW would contribute for themselves. If they have already paid, you could elect to have the anonymously donated amount carry over to next year.

Would this method somehow be against policy?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:For me, I don't see a problem with accepting the donation for the Other:YW Camp category. I don't think it would be any different than processing the funds from a fundraiser. It would just reduce the amount the individual YW would contribute for themselves. If they have already paid, you could elect to have the anonymously donated amount carry over to next year.

Would this method somehow be against policy?
I did summarize the funding policy above, but I didn't get into the details of the fund-raising policy. To my reading, it would be against policy, but anyone who has specific questions should consult with their priesthood leader, who can read those details on p. 161 of the Handbook and make appropriate judgment for the particular situation.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”