Transferring missionary funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
carlscpa

Transferring missionary funds

Post by carlscpa »

A ward missionary has a negative balance in his account. The Bishop asked me to transfer money from the Ward Missionary Fund to the ward missionaries account to cover the deficit. I wrote a check against the Ward Missionary Fund but forgot to fill out a donation slip placing the money into the ward missionary's account. The check has cleared and the money was taken out of the Ward Missionary Fund but was not transferred to the ward missionaries account. Please let me know how I can make the transfer. Thank you for your helpfulness.
nutterb

Re: Transferring missionary funds

Post by nutterb »

It will be important to know where the money went. You say the check cleared, but you don't say who it was written to. So, two questions:

1. Who was the check written to.
2. If to your ward, to what category was it deposited?

Related Note:
After we address the current problem, make sure we give you links to resources to transfer money within your MLS system. This is a situation where writing a check wasn't necessary. But let's fix the current problem before we get into that
carlscpa

Post by carlscpa »

I have done this previously. The check was written to the ward as payer and the ward missionary as payee. When the check was processed, the money was taken from the Ward Missionary account. A donation slip was prepared and processed showing the ward as donor and the individual missionary as payee. The money was transferred
from the Ward Missionary account to the individual missionary. In the last case, a donation slip was not prepared or entered. The money was taken from the Ward Missionary account, but was not transferred to the individual missionary. There are limitations for voiding checks, but in this instance it would only involve ward accounts. If the check was voided, a transfer could then be made. Please refer me to the transfer method you mentioned. Thanks.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

carlscpa wrote:I have done this previously. The check was written to the ward as payer and the ward missionary as payee.
I hope you mean that the check was made out to the ward. It should not be made out to the missionary. That could cause problems and the bank might not deposit the check.
carlscpa wrote:In the last case, a donation slip was not prepared or entered. The money was taken from the Ward Missionary account, but was not transferred to the individual missionary.
Does the check show as 'cleared' in MLS or in LCR? Also, look in the donation batch either in MLS or LCR (in LCR go to Finance > Donations from the menu), expand the batch and find the specific entry for this check. It should show what category it was deposited into. If it's the wrong category then you can edit the donation and correct it.
carlscpa wrote:There are limitations for voiding checks, but in this instance it would only involve ward accounts. If the check was voided, a transfer could then be made. Please refer me to the transfer method you mentioned. Thanks.
If the check has cleared, then you won't be able to void it. However, for future reference, in MLS select Finance > Enter Transfers. Then enter the requested information and the source and destination categories. When selecting the destination it will pop up and also ask you to select the unit. Just select your own unit.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”