How to fix adjustment issue

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
regan.thacker

How to fix adjustment issue

Post by regan.thacker »

An expense was charged to a member financed category. I then learned I was supposed to charge a different category. Rather than transfer the money, I made an adjustment on the original amount and specified the two different categories.

I now see that the expense was removed from the original category (the balance is now $0). However, when I look at the category the expense was to be transferred to, I don't see any mention of it. This means the expense has disappeared.

Any idea how to resolve this?
eblood66

Re: How to fix adjustment issue

Post by eblood66 »

Here are the things I'd check:

1. Find the expense using View/Update Expenses and check it again to make sure the new category is the one you intended to change it to. Maybe you accidentally selected the wrong new category and it's just showing up somewhere else.
2. In LCR, go to the Finance section, select Overview > Income And Expense Details, select the correct category (and possibly sub-category) from the drop down and see if you can see the expense. If it shows there and not in MLS then something has probably gotten corrupted in your MLS database. You'll have to call the global service center and see what they can do.
3. In LCR, go to the Expenses section (or Expenses > Expenses Summary in the beta test version), find the expense and look at the adjustment history. Does everything look right there? If not, again you'll probably have to call the global service center to get any problem resolved. But the more information you have to tell them, the quicker they'll probably be able to resolve it.
regan.thacker

Post by regan.thacker »

Accounts look correct in MLS.
In LRC, I can see it correctly in the Expenses, but in the Income and expenses, I still can't see it in the correct category.

Looks like I need to contact global support.

Thanks for the suggestions.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

This is unlikely to be the issue, but correction will be dated the date when you made the correction, not the original date. So make sure you're looking at that part of the expense list. You might also look at the unfiltered list in the Income and Expense Details in LCR around the date of the correction and see if you can find it there. It should show up with back to back transactions of opposite amounts between the old and new categories. If you find one have of this pair but not the other right by it, then something is very wrong.
regan.thacker

Post by regan.thacker »

The problem was that there was an identically named account under Budget. I had accidentally picked that one. Where the names were the same, I didn't notice one was under Budget and the other under Other. Once that was understood, everything worked as it should and I could change the assignment to the correct category.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”