Edited check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
croasmunj

Edited check

Post by croasmunj »

Member needed to pick up prescriptions at local pharmacy. I printed a check, signed with the Bishop and ran the check to the pharmacy. The member had already picked up/payed for one of the prescriptions. The printed check was $10 over what needed to be paid. I scratched out the old amount and wrote in the new, paid for the prescriptions, and informed the bishop.

Now I can't adjust the check amount in MLS to match what I changed. Looking back, I should have made the trip back to the church, voided the check and wrote a new one. What can I do to reconcile the check amount with what is in MLS?
eblood66

Re: Edited check

Post by eblood66 »

You're going to need to call the global service center right away. It's quite possible that the check will bounce because it doesn't match the details entered in MLS. You can't change the amount in MLS yourself. Hopefully the global service center can or at least they can give you instructions on how to proceed.

You've also got a problem with your documentation. You'll want to write up what happened carefully and include as much supporting documentation as possible so that the auditor understands the situation if he chooses that expense to check.
croasmunj

Re: Edited check

Post by croasmunj »

Thank you!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”