Negative Account balances in Other Financed Activities accounts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jayinouye

Negative Account balances in Other Financed Activities accounts

Post by jayinouye »

What is the proper procedure for transferring funds into "Other Accounts - Other Accounts for Financed Activities such as YW's camp" that have overdrafts or negative balances? Where can the funds be taken from and put into these Other Accounts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Negative Account balances in Other Financed Activities accounts

Post by russellhltn »

The money comes from the budget. There's two ways of doing that. You can write a check and deposit it as a donation to "other", or you can re-classify some or part of an expense to come from budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree. Whenever I notice that we have accidentally over-spent an Other:AMFA subcategory, I find the expense (check) that caused the problem, and change the source of the funds for that expense to an appropriate budget category. In this case, YW camp expenses that exceed the funds collected by the fundraiser should come from the YW budget category.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

I believe you can also just transfer funds from the budget category into the other category that has a negative balance to zero it out.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I don't believe you can directly transfer between major categories. But even if you can, I recommend editing an expense because it provides better tracking.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”