Question about adjustments made to tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
19nazzy-p40

Post by 19nazzy-p40 »

There is something that possibly may have messed things up. When I initially entered my first adjustment I brought up the other category and did this:
Category X $20
Category Y $20
-->
Instead of making Category X $40/Category Y $0, I wasn't sure if I should just change the totals or if that would put things out of whack so I changed category Y to category X:
Category X $20
Category X $20
---
I received a pop-up mentioning something about having duplicate categories and do you want MLS to combine the amounts into 1? I said sure and then it did it. I then finished up the process and when looking at the adjustment report, as I said above it did say:
Old:
X $20
Y $20

New:
X $40
Y $0

Which was exactly how I wanted it, so I assumed the combining thing it did was fine.

Perhaps there's a bug in the system when someone has the same two categories with an amount in them when there's an adjustment being made that it does this? To be fair, what I did is probably not a very common procedure at all. If you still have that test data in front of you, perhaps you could try the same thing I did to see if the error is replicated?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I have tried to replicate the error in the test data base and have been unsuccessful.

You should have also encountered a pop-up like this one:

Here is what the batch report in the test data base looked like when I tried to replicate your scenario Before the adjustment:

And after:

I created an Other:X category and an Other:Y category just for this test, but that detail did not show up the screen print above. Here is what the result looked like from a previous test before creating those categories. Other:Humanitarian aid was my Other:X, and Other:Member items and magazines was my Other:Y in the screen print below:

I hope this is helpful in determining what happened, instead of just adding confusion.
Attachments
AdjustmentConfirmation.jpg
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Review1.jpg
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Review2.jpg
Review2.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Review3.jpg
Review3.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 722 times
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jbh001 wrote:The three asterisks indicates the previous donation slip that no longer counts.
Correction: they indicate how and where the original slip was adjusted.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Yet another problem with the test database is that some slips come up already out of balance, as in the following examples.

Example 1 (funds do not balance slip).

Example 2 (funds only)

If this is also what you have been experiencing and have been trying to describe, I would highly suspect that your database got corrupted somehow. At any rate, this is at least a problem to bring to the attention of the stake clerk, and more likely something that will eventually be escalated to Clerk Support to resolve.

Part of my reasoning for this is that the test database contains some obsolete categories, such as Missionary instead of Ward Missionary and General Missionary. If your live database has those also, there might be something that Clerk Support needs to update/upgrade with your database.
Attachments
Slip1.jpg
Slip1.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Slip2.jpg
Slip2.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 721 times
19nazzy-p40

Post by 19nazzy-p40 »

jbh001 wrote:I have tried to replicate the error in the test data base and have been unsuccessful.

You should have also encountered a pop-up like this one:
I did indeed and when I saw it, it looked correct. The adjustment report looked similarly.

I hope this is helpful in determining what happened, instead of just adding confusion.
Oh, not only did it not add to the confusion I think I now *may* know what the issue is. Our reports look completely different.

We both have the *** and the person's name/note. The tithing and fast offering on my are empty as well which they should be on the adjustment. However, here is where our reports differ. It appears to me that your 'Additional Donations' for your adjustment look like just that, an adjustment. Mine doesn't. Your Humanitarian Aid (X) and Member Items & Magazines (Y) show that you added $20.00 to X, and minused $20 from Y (which is what I thought I did).

On mine however, it has:
$20.00 - Category X
$20.00 - Category Y
And that's it.

No minus, no $0.

Also, your total box is empty next to it. Mine says $40 in it. [Just as a note, keep in mind I've got 2 adjustments that look exactly like this]

Currently on 'John Smith's' slip, the Category X is correct. It has $40. Category Y however, has $80. It now *appears* to me that the system has took my 2 adjustments and turned them into actual donations for the Category Y. Which would be why my slip is off $80 and the batch total has $80 more than it should.

The reason though is beyond me. My notification:
was correct. And the printed adjustment report was correct.
19nazzy-p40

Post by 19nazzy-p40 »

jbh001 wrote: If this is also what you have been experiencing and have been trying to describe, I would highly suspect that your database got corrupted somehow. At any rate, this is at least a problem to bring to the attention of the stake clerk, and more likely something that will eventually be escalated to Clerk Support to resolve.

Part of my reasoning for this is that the test database contains some obsolete categories, such as Missionary instead of Ward Missionary and General Missionary. If your live database has those also, there might be something that Clerk Support needs to update/upgrade with your database.
It is *only* with this specific slip and I think I know the reason why as I mention in the above post. I think the system now thinks my adjustments were actual additions to his donation slip. It has the extra $80 on the left side but obviously not on the right side as the total amounts were originally entered correctly.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”