How to add FO recipient from another unit?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rchomskis

How to add FO recipient from another unit?

Post by rchomskis »

Our district president asked our several branches to share one large medical expense. I am not sure how in MLS to add a FO recipient from another unit, if the option is greyed out?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to add FO recipient from another unit?

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to contact the District Clerk. He's responsible for training branch clerks. He'd also be a good one to figure out how to make this work (or break the news that it can't).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

russellhltn wrote:You might want to contact the District Clerk. He's responsible for training branch clerks. He'd also be a good one to figure out how to make this work (or break the news that it can't).
I am the district clerk :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rchomskis wrote:I am the district clerk :D
In that case you may want to review Handbook 1: 5.1.2 "Medical Expenses That Exceed Authorized Amounts".

You can try and contact support, but I have my doubts. I see no provision in the Handbook for spreading the payment across multiple units. Nor is there a need to unless it's an attempt to keep things under the radar that perhaps should be on the radar.

Good luck with your chat with the District President.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

russellhltn wrote:
rchomskis wrote:I am the district clerk :D
In that case you may want to review Handbook 1: 5.1.2 "Medical Expenses That Exceed Authorized Amounts".

You can try and contact support, but I have my doubts. I see no provision in the Handbook for spreading the payment across multiple units. Nor is there a need to unless it's an attempt to keep things under the radar that perhaps should be on the radar.

Good luck with your chat with the District President.
Actually authorisation came from our mission president, so now the branches try to figure out this "greyed out" issue. :roll: oh, and the overall medical expense is still within the limits of authorised medical expenses for district president (according to Handbook 1 5.1.2), but too large for one branch to handle, hence the split :roll:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rchomskis wrote:
russellhltn wrote:oh, and the overall medical expense is still within the limits of authorised medical expenses for district president (according to Handbook 1 5.1.2), but too large for one branch to handle, hence the split :roll:
In that case, I'd contact support and ask them how that should be done.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That sounds like a clear violation of the intent of the policy. We see that in accounting as well, when folks try to circumvent corporate policy by splitting expenses. Bad news.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

drepouille wrote:That sounds like a clear violation of the intent of the policy. We see that in accounting as well, when folks try to circumvent corporate policy by splitting expenses. Bad news.
never heard of the policy restricting units to share the burden :shock:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As I see it, the underlying problem is that the branch president has one limit and the district president has a higher limit.

The question is, what is the procedure when a payment exceeds the branch's amount but is within the district's amount?

The way the Handbook is written, it sounds like it's still done by the one unit, but I don't know how the approval process is handled. Is it just a pop-up reminder, or does it refuse until something else is done?

rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

russellhltn wrote:As I see it, the underlying problem is that the branch president has one limit and the district president has a higher limit.

The question is, what is the procedure when a payment exceeds the branch's amount but is within the district's amount?

The way the Handbook is written, it sounds like it's still done by the one unit, but I don't know how the approval process is handled. Is it just a pop-up reminder, or does it refuse until something else is done?
the underlying problem here is to pay the expense ASAP, instead of Area Presidency approved way, which involves loads of approval paperwork. I guess our MLS is not prepared to handle such time-sensitive/urgent exeptions... and contacting GSC is the only way to solve this... :?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”